I'm planning a trip to see Paris and head down toward the south of France/Northwest Italy in September. I wanted to reach out as I did a trip to Italy last year and got some invaluable advice on that trip. Like last time, my biggest constraint is length of time. I'm only planning to be on the trip for 11 days (two of which will be flights, so really 9 days).
Here's a base itenerary:
- Fly into Paris overnight, arriving at around noon.
- Stay for Two full nights, then plan to do the overnight train to Nice
- Stay in Nice/Cannes for 3 nights
- Take a train from Nice/Cannes to La Spezia in Italy
- Spend two nights in Cinque Terre area
- Take train on final day to Milan, spend time in Milan then fly home the next day
Here are my main questions:
- Nice or Cannes (read a few on both, seems like Cannes would be more fun)
- Am I grossly underestimating the time I should spend in Paris?
- Is it worth trying to do Cinque Terre? Or should I focus on France?
- Is the overnight train a good idea?
Here's my own background and points to make:
- Trip with two people in their mid twenties, in good shape (walking and hiking are not issues)
- Hotel budget would be planned to be up to $300 a night, but preferring the $150 to $225 range
- I know point to point train tickets work well, already found some good deals on these
- I'm a fan of museums/art/history, but my companion is not. They would rather see gardens/tourist sights/natural locations. What sort of issue would this cause in these locations?
I will definitely be coming back to this forum a lot as I make some decisions to provide updates. One thing to note, I was told last time I had too little time to do everything, but it worked out well, so I may be a little overconfident in getting all of this done.
Thanks for all the advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Into Barcelona out of Madrid !! Help!!?
- 2 Train from Rome to Naples
- 3 Spain to Morocco
- 4 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 5 Dijon or Beaune for overnight?
- 6 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 7 3 days in Beaune / Dijon...any tips/recos?
- 8 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 9 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 10 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 11 Lisbon to Porto by train
- 12 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 13 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 14 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 15 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 16 Lake Garda- Italy
- 17 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 18 Sardinia, Italy
- 19 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
- 20 Venice to Frankfort - via Switzerland?
- 21 Italy by car
- 22 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 23 Paris gtg in October?
- 24 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 25 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris