I'm planning a trip to see Paris and head down toward the south of France/Northwest Italy in September. I wanted to reach out as I did a trip to Italy last year and got some invaluable advice on that trip. Like last time, my biggest constraint is length of time. I'm only planning to be on the trip for 11 days (two of which will be flights, so really 9 days).
Here's a base itenerary:
- Fly into Paris overnight, arriving at around noon.
- Stay for Two full nights, then plan to do the overnight train to Nice
- Stay in Nice/Cannes for 3 nights
- Take a train from Nice/Cannes to La Spezia in Italy
- Spend two nights in Cinque Terre area
- Take train on final day to Milan, spend time in Milan then fly home the next day
Here are my main questions:
- Nice or Cannes (read a few on both, seems like Cannes would be more fun)
- Am I grossly underestimating the time I should spend in Paris?
- Is it worth trying to do Cinque Terre? Or should I focus on France?
- Is the overnight train a good idea?
Here's my own background and points to make:
- Trip with two people in their mid twenties, in good shape (walking and hiking are not issues)
- Hotel budget would be planned to be up to $300 a night, but preferring the $150 to $225 range
- I know point to point train tickets work well, already found some good deals on these
- I'm a fan of museums/art/history, but my companion is not. They would rather see gardens/tourist sights/natural locations. What sort of issue would this cause in these locations?
I will definitely be coming back to this forum a lot as I make some decisions to provide updates. One thing to note, I was told last time I had too little time to do everything, but it worked out well, so I may be a little overconfident in getting all of this done.
Thanks for all the advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 SKYPE Recovery APP CONTACT ☎ 1:800:540:6830 SKYPE Technical SUPP0RT b*G
- 2 Which area to stay in London
- 3 Cotswolds for day by Train
- 4 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 5 Two days around Oban - help with itinerary
- 6 Purchasing Kosta Boda in Stockholm. Firsts and seconds
- 7 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 8 4 days and 3 nights in Austria excluding Vienna
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 Itinery help Crete
- 11 Scotland - We're Here!
- 12 Odd Question - freezer and microwave
- 13 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 14 TIM in FCO - update
- 15 Train / Calabria
- 16 Game of Thrones Tour in N. Ireland
- 17 16 days in France and Italy
- 18 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 19 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 20 Short Trip to Usak, (Eastern Aegean Turkey)
- 21 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 22 Lisbon - a few tips
- 23 Need help traveling from Austria to Switzerland
- 24 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 25 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please