I'm planning a trip to see Paris and head down toward the south of France/Northwest Italy in September. I wanted to reach out as I did a trip to Italy last year and got some invaluable advice on that trip. Like last time, my biggest constraint is length of time. I'm only planning to be on the trip for 11 days (two of which will be flights, so really 9 days).
Here's a base itenerary:
- Fly into Paris overnight, arriving at around noon.
- Stay for Two full nights, then plan to do the overnight train to Nice
- Stay in Nice/Cannes for 3 nights
- Take a train from Nice/Cannes to La Spezia in Italy
- Spend two nights in Cinque Terre area
- Take train on final day to Milan, spend time in Milan then fly home the next day
Here are my main questions:
- Nice or Cannes (read a few on both, seems like Cannes would be more fun)
- Am I grossly underestimating the time I should spend in Paris?
- Is it worth trying to do Cinque Terre? Or should I focus on France?
- Is the overnight train a good idea?
Here's my own background and points to make:
- Trip with two people in their mid twenties, in good shape (walking and hiking are not issues)
- Hotel budget would be planned to be up to $300 a night, but preferring the $150 to $225 range
- I know point to point train tickets work well, already found some good deals on these
- I'm a fan of museums/art/history, but my companion is not. They would rather see gardens/tourist sights/natural locations. What sort of issue would this cause in these locations?
I will definitely be coming back to this forum a lot as I make some decisions to provide updates. One thing to note, I was told last time I had too little time to do everything, but it worked out well, so I may be a little overconfident in getting all of this done.
Thanks for all the advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Never Mind"
- 2 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 3 Paris Skip the Lines deals ...
- 4 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April
- 5 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 6 Via del Sale, Italy
- 7 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 8 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 9 Route/guide book request for Italy
- 10 Nafplio to Hydra
- 11 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 12 Southern Croatia and side trips itinerary recommendations
- 13 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 14 Seat Assignments on TGV train from Paris to Avignon
- 15 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 16 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 17 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 18 Prague itinerary advice
- 19 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 20 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 21 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 22 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 23 Italian lakes
- 24 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 25 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?