I'm planning a trip to see Paris and head down toward the south of France/Northwest Italy in September. I wanted to reach out as I did a trip to Italy last year and got some invaluable advice on that trip. Like last time, my biggest constraint is length of time. I'm only planning to be on the trip for 11 days (two of which will be flights, so really 9 days).
Here's a base itenerary:
- Fly into Paris overnight, arriving at around noon.
- Stay for Two full nights, then plan to do the overnight train to Nice
- Stay in Nice/Cannes for 3 nights
- Take a train from Nice/Cannes to La Spezia in Italy
- Spend two nights in Cinque Terre area
- Take train on final day to Milan, spend time in Milan then fly home the next day
Here are my main questions:
- Nice or Cannes (read a few on both, seems like Cannes would be more fun)
- Am I grossly underestimating the time I should spend in Paris?
- Is it worth trying to do Cinque Terre? Or should I focus on France?
- Is the overnight train a good idea?
Here's my own background and points to make:
- Trip with two people in their mid twenties, in good shape (walking and hiking are not issues)
- Hotel budget would be planned to be up to $300 a night, but preferring the $150 to $225 range
- I know point to point train tickets work well, already found some good deals on these
- I'm a fan of museums/art/history, but my companion is not. They would rather see gardens/tourist sights/natural locations. What sort of issue would this cause in these locations?
I will definitely be coming back to this forum a lot as I make some decisions to provide updates. One thing to note, I was told last time I had too little time to do everything, but it worked out well, so I may be a little overconfident in getting all of this done.
Thanks for all the advice!
Paris and South Of France/Possibly Cinque Terre
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 2 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 3 Azores
- 4 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 5 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 6 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 7 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 8 Azores
- 9 tulips in the Netherland
- 10 England and Scotland
- 11 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 12 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 13 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 14 Air pollution in Paris
- 15 Trains in Italy
- 16 Dublin to Armagh?
- 17 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 18 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 19 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 20 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 21 A photo report on Reykjavik, Iceland
- 22 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 23 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 24 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 25 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...