Due to some unexpected health issues I'm much later than usual in planning an upcoming, mid-Sept. trip, which is making me a bit nervous. We'd just gotten plane tix when life threw a couple curve balls. Seems to be the story last couple of trips! In any case, now looking for any help available learning about public transport options to get from one base to the other for the following itinerary (and open to hearing thoughts on the itinerary itself, too).
[Five notes:: 1) our last trip to U.K. 8 yrs ago, we spent our entire 10 days in London, which was wonderful and although we're sure we could spend a year there and still not have explored it all, we don't get across the ocean all that often so we really want to see a couple other areas too, this time. 2) We have an old friend in Fairford we'd like to see and it's best if at all possible for that part of the trip to include a weekend day when he'll have more time available, 3) if we'd planned better perhaps we wouldn't have flown into Heathrow but it's too late to change that now without major expense. 4) We've enjoyed many trips with public transport that others have felt not worth doing without a car, so we're confident that if we can just figure out how to get to our bases, we'll figure out how to enjoy ourselves once there even when most people prefer having a car 5) It's not possible for us to drive this trip, so that's not a changeable factor.
Thurs. Sept. 14, arrive Heathrow 9AM (if all goes well!): would like to immediately head to Cotswolds, ideally a town/village within a half hr ride of Fairford, where the old friend lives. Burford perhaps? Can we do this by public transport? We're not averse to doing Lyfft or Uber to get from a main area on a rail or bus route, to a smaller village, or hiring a driver, if needed and that exists in those areas.
Stay Thurs, Fri, and Sat. nights. Friend will likely show us around Cotswolds on Sat., so depending on our energy levels, perhaps on Fri. we'll do a public transport day trip to either Oxford or Bath. If tired, we'll just stay hanging out in village. Or, stay in Oxford or Bath instead of a village? I like the small village idea as we're likely to be tired upon arrival and it sounds relaxing to just sit outside and watch some sheep and the world go by, plus that sounds more like getting a real taste of Cotswolds. But perhaps we'll only be able to easily get from one place to another, by staying somewhere larger.
Sunday Sept. 17, would love any help available to figure out best way to transport to North Wales, looking at either Bettelgert, Betwys y Coed, or Conwy as base. Alternatively, mid west coast Wales, if easier. Stay 3 nights.
Wed., Sept. 20th, train transport back to London. Stay 4 nights. Take in a show or two in London. If at all possible take in a football game. Again depending on mood, maybe a day trip Friday to either Greenwich or Canterbury (didn't go to either last trip), or instead to Cambridge if we never made it to Oxford - or if tired of travel maybe just stay and hang in London.
Sunday, Sept. 24, dh heads back to Phila. U.S. from Heathrow, I train to Birmingham for a work related event the next 5 days.
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the train/bus transport arrangements part of the trip and would appreciate very much suggestions, links, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 2 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 3 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 4 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 5 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 6 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 7 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 8 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 9 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 10 Help: Looking for Streetwise Venice folding map
- 11 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 12 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 13 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 15 Switzerland in September
- 16 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 17 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 18 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 19 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 20 Lyon france-- rental car
- 21 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 22 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 23 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 24 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 25 Greece mainland and islands