I have been getting lots of helpful tips and feedback from this forum -please bear with me as we pull together a workable itinerary at last!
I like to get a sense of what we can reasonably accomplish without feeling rushed (or bored)....so any feedback on our locals, where to best spend our time, what to lose, what to keep and how long to stay here or there would be great for us to ponder and debate.
FYI, our flights to Glasgow and home from London are booked and paid for, as is our flight from Glasgow to Dubrovnik (though in hindsight I really wished I'd added an extra buffer day in Scotland - right now we have 24hrs/1 overnight in Glasgow). Our flight back to London is not yet booked.
Our current 6 week itinerary is as follows (see day trips in brackets):
Fly to Glasgow
1 x Glasgow
5 x Dubrovnik (Fly to Dubrovnik, Lopud, Ston/Mali Ston, Mostar)
3 x Kotor (Stari Bar, Budva)
3 x Trogir (Split, Krka Waterfall Park, Primosten)
3 x Zadar (Pag Island)
1 x Pltivice
6 x Pula (Rovinj, Porec, Labin, Motovun, Vodnjan)
4 x Ljubljana (Skocjan/ Postojna Caves, Velika Planina)
3 x Bled (Skofja Loka, Radovljica)
3 x Graz (Riegersburg, Burg Hochosterwitz)
4 x Hall in Tirol (Salzburg, Werfen, Swarovski Crystal Exhibit)
2 x Cesky Krumlov
5 x Prague (Kunta Hora, Karlstejn Castle)
1 x London (Fly to London)
Well 10 guidebooks and endless internet searching and that is what we have come up with. Of course as with any itinerary we've made numerous trade offs and wonder if all of them are the best selection.
Most notably we've moved around that Split/Zadar section at least a dozen times stealing days - putting them back....
I've toyed with stealing a day somewhere for another night in London on the way home but....my partner has never been and somehow it feels like too much city to even enjoy in 2 nights...? do you think one night is too risky as far as a buffer before our return home flight?
I should also note we are traveling entirely by public transport this trip - so that is reflected in some of the pacing.
Our Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic Itinerary: Would Love to Hear Feedback on Time Allotment
- 1 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 2 Backpacking for the first time in 2014
- 3 Which tour company would be best?
- 4 Drive Rome Florence
- 5 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 6 I am Planning about to spend holidays at Windermere
- 7 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 8 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 9 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 10 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 11 Sights to see, places to stop in drive from Edinburgh to London
- 12 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 13 10 days in Barcelona - itinerary ideas?
- 14 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 15 Iwan2go went...to Prague, Salzburg, Vienna and Paris
- 16 10 days in Andalusia in Feb 2014 - best home base
- 17 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 18 Stay and Visit Italy/Amalfi and Grand Hotel Ischia Lido - Ischia
- 19 Northern Italy
- 20 May 24, 2013. How to avoid lines in Paris, and other observations
- 21 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 22 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 23 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 24 France by rail or car?
- 25 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys