Ortisei or Castelrotto?
Castelrotto hands down!
Our trip: First week of October
Destination: Hotel Rodes in Ortisei in the Dolomites
Day 1: Drive from Zürich to Ortisei through Mustair Valley in Switzerland.
Day 2: Seiser Alm with a walk through Ortisei
Day 3: Scenic Drive through Dolomites and evening walk through Castelrotto
Day 4: Drive back to Zürich through Reschenpass and Sent, Ardez and back over the Fluelen pass.
We took the cable car from Ortisei up to Seiser Alm. We did a circle walk down to Incor and back to the Sonne Hotel. It was a perfect day with a perfect view of the mountains. Paradise on earth.
Drive through the Dolomites
Ortisei-Selva di Val Gardena-SELLA PASS-Pordoi Pass-Arabba-Campolongo Pass-CORVARA-Colfosco-GARDENA PASS-Ortisei
It was a cloudy day so we didn’t get the best views at Pordoi Pass but we loved Gardena Pass. Stunning. We did the drive within 4 hours and a few stops.
A smaller village located in a beautiful setting. We wandered around the village and then stopped at the huge tent they were setting up for the Kastelruth Spatzen festival next weekend. The tent will hold over 9,600 people. We loved the drive from Castelrotto up to Panider Sattel. We also enjoyed the drive from Castelrotto down to Bolzen going past Seis.
Things I’d change:
Sorry Steve but I didn’t like Ortisei. Too much smog from the cars, too far in the valley for a nice view and too loud from all the traffic. Castelrotto was the exact opposite. Green pastures, quaint town and beautiful views. I’d definitely stay in Castelrotto next time.
Hotel Rodes was OK. The food was OK, the furniture from the 70’s (showing lots of wear and tear) and the owners weren’t all too friendly. I didn’t really like the location either. The price was reasonable and the kids liked the swimming pool. I couldn’t heartily recommend it.
Thanks again to Steve and all who contributed information for the Dolomites. We loved Seiser Alm (taking the cable car from Ortisei really is the best way to get up there) and the Dolomite drive. My American relatives compared it to Bryce Canyon, parts of the Rockies and Switzerland.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 4 Train travel to and from Paris
- 5 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 6 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 7 Schengen question....confirmation needed
- 8 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 9 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 10 Traveling in Belgium
- 11 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 12 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 13 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 14 Whistle stop family road trip
- 15 Ischia-Thermal Pools
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 18 Pisa/Florence and Naples/Pompeii questions
- 19 Cascais Day Trip - Sunday or Monday?
- 20 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 21 Getting around London
- 22 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 23 Valencia Spain
- 24 Language to use in Belgium
- 25 Paris in August
Ortisei or Castelrotto?