Ortisei or Castelrotto?
Castelrotto hands down!
Our trip: First week of October
Destination: Hotel Rodes in Ortisei in the Dolomites
Day 1: Drive from Zürich to Ortisei through Mustair Valley in Switzerland.
Day 2: Seiser Alm with a walk through Ortisei
Day 3: Scenic Drive through Dolomites and evening walk through Castelrotto
Day 4: Drive back to Zürich through Reschenpass and Sent, Ardez and back over the Fluelen pass.
We took the cable car from Ortisei up to Seiser Alm. We did a circle walk down to Incor and back to the Sonne Hotel. It was a perfect day with a perfect view of the mountains. Paradise on earth.
Drive through the Dolomites
Ortisei-Selva di Val Gardena-SELLA PASS-Pordoi Pass-Arabba-Campolongo Pass-CORVARA-Colfosco-GARDENA PASS-Ortisei
It was a cloudy day so we didn’t get the best views at Pordoi Pass but we loved Gardena Pass. Stunning. We did the drive within 4 hours and a few stops.
A smaller village located in a beautiful setting. We wandered around the village and then stopped at the huge tent they were setting up for the Kastelruth Spatzen festival next weekend. The tent will hold over 9,600 people. We loved the drive from Castelrotto up to Panider Sattel. We also enjoyed the drive from Castelrotto down to Bolzen going past Seis.
Things I’d change:
Sorry Steve but I didn’t like Ortisei. Too much smog from the cars, too far in the valley for a nice view and too loud from all the traffic. Castelrotto was the exact opposite. Green pastures, quaint town and beautiful views. I’d definitely stay in Castelrotto next time.
Hotel Rodes was OK. The food was OK, the furniture from the 70’s (showing lots of wear and tear) and the owners weren’t all too friendly. I didn’t really like the location either. The price was reasonable and the kids liked the swimming pool. I couldn’t heartily recommend it.
Thanks again to Steve and all who contributed information for the Dolomites. We loved Seiser Alm (taking the cable car from Ortisei really is the best way to get up there) and the Dolomite drive. My American relatives compared it to Bryce Canyon, parts of the Rockies and Switzerland.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 2 Flora : HP tec^h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:855:999 :8045 HP PRINTER 24*7
- 3 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 4 Threat Level in UK
- 5 IWM
- 6 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 7 One night in the Dolomites
- 8 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 9 Itinery help Crete
- 10 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 11 Madrid or Barcelona first?
- 12 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 13 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 14 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 15 3 nights in Madrid
- 16 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 17 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 18 London 6 day itinerary
- 19 Rome hotel
- 20 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 21 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 22 London Hotel - Different Request
- 23 alcazar question and seville advice
- 24 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 25 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
Ortisei or Castelrotto?