I would really appreciate some advice, and perhaps a dose of courage, regarding car rental out of Paris to get us to the Loire Valley.
Typically, we would take the TGV to Tours, pick up in Tours---simple, right? But, due to a wierd confluence of factors, that plan won't work.
Those factors are:
-an inflexible arrival date (it's complicated, we're staying with a host from a previous trip who can't change her dates)
-The Tours Europcar no longer has the 4-person wagon car size they had 2 years ago. (I'd prefer not to get a smaller car with the kids, luggage, and the amount of driving we'll be doing over 2 weeks.)
-Also, we'll actually be going from London to Tours---in one day if we can. Even if Europcar were to have the car we want, making the trip on trains (Eurostar then TGV to Tours), it would be a 6+ hour journey.
So... we thought we could shorten the process and fly from London to Paris (Orly or CDG) and drive from there. That lands us at CDG or Orly. At that point, we could either:
-pick up car at Orly?
-transfer out to Versailles or Chartres or _________ (fill in the blank with some other nearby town) and pick up the car there. I'd be interested in the one with the easiest connections from the airport.
-pick up car at CDG... um... no thanks. I'm not feeling confident enough to do that.
What do you all suggest?
Thanks in advance for the problem solving!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 2 St Denis Cathedral
- 3 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 4 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 5 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 6 Praiano
- 7 No Periods in British Written English!
- 8 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 9 Help please
- 10 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 11 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 12 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 13 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 14 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 15 Iceland - which direction to drive RIng Road? Clockwise or counter?
- 16 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 17 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 18 Rome to venice
- 19 Two weeks in Italy flying in and out of Milan
- 20 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 21 Recommendation for GPS with Europe maps
- 22 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Areas in Milan
- 25 Melia Colbert Paris