I visited the UK many times and found Oxford, York, Bath, Edinburgh and obviously London to rank among the UK’s greatest urban sightseeing destinations. I want to ask you about 4 places. (1) I hear that Manchester used to look like an industrial city and has been transformed in recent years and is now a center for contemporary museums and a strong nightlife scene. With that said, from a tourist perspective, I am not sure whether Manchester should rank among the UK’s greatest urban sightseeing destinations or whether it is more of a place to visit only if you are in the area or whether it is mostly a ‘special interest’ destination, a city that is mostly good for partying. Is it simply a clean and modern looking place or is it an attractive destination? What do you think? (2) I have the same question for Newcastle (upon Tyne). (3) Lastly regarding Canterbury, do you think it is anything special or just so-so? Is the reason to visit predominately the gorgeous cathedral or is the town as a whole rather quite attractive? (4) Lastly, it has been years since I was in Cambridge. I remember it being okay, but nowhere near as attractive as rivaling Oxford. However, I could be wrong because it has been a while. What do you think?
Opinions on 4 Well-Known UK Destinations
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 2 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 3 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 4 What to wear
- 5 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 6 Greece - trip report - Aegean Islands Chios, Lesvos and Samos Oct 2012
- 7 Sicily - not a trip report
- 8 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 9 Urgent Spanish visa dilemma
- 10 Salzburg, Innsbruck, and possibly Graz with my 90yr old Mom
- 11 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 12 Chip but no PIN
- 13 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 14 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 15 No points in Paris .....
- 16 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 17 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 18 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 19 What still confounds you about travel?
- 20 Three days in Spain
- 21 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 22 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 23 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 24 Eurostar booking
- 25 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean