I am taking a tour of Iceland during the 1st week of August. I know tours are frowned upon on these forums and I do usually like to travel independently, but since I'm going alone and found a good deal, I went ahead and booked it!
I'll be arriving at the airport at 8:40 am and have the entire day free to explore the city. I also have my final afternoon and evening free in Reykjavik as well.
I've been researching things to do and have a list of all of the most popular places to visit but was hoping for some quirky or unique shops, sights or restaurants that might not be in the tour books.
Any ideas would be welcome! I'll be alone, so I'd like some ideas for restaurants that are not too expensive and that I'll feel comfortable in eating alone. I'd also love some good photo spots and to buy some artwork by local artisans.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help!
Here is what I will be seeing on the tour during the second day:
"After breakfast, drive into the capital for a morning city sightseeing tour of Reykjavik. Our first stop is at Bessastaðir, where we can see the residence of the Icelandic President. The tour traverses the old town center to the Parliament, the Cathedral, the harbor, the National Museum and the Höfdi House, site of the 1986 Iceland Summit where Reagan and Gorbachev met. The tour also includes a stop at Perlan, located on the Öskjuhlid hill, which offers a spectacular view over the capital area. Pass by the outdoor swimming pool heated by geothermal waters and a museum dedicated to the renowned sculptor Asmundur Sveinsson. In the afternoon, visit the famous Blue Lagoon, a unique natural pool of mineral rich geothermal water located in the middle of a lava field. Enjoy a refreshing bath or swim in the pleasantly warm mineral-rich water reputed for its healing properties"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Back from Paris
- 2 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 3 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 4 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 5 Musee Carnavalet closed for now
- 6 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 10 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 11 International Flight Question
- 12 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 13 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 14 What to wear to wedding in Sweden
- 15 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 16 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 17 Luggage Storage
- 18 LIsbon
- 19 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 20 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 21 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 22 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 23 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 24 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 25 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days