Old Ship and Waste of Money
This was our second cruise on Oceania. We received a lot of press on the new Sirena. We booked a Penthouse SG2 with no specific stateroom. This was a first for us not having a Stateroom; one of their promotions. We were going to be in Europe so all seemed good; bad decision.
We did not realize nor did our travel agent, that Oceania advises you of your stateroom the day before sailing. Thus you options to select another stateroom or cancel was not an option. My recommendation would be never to book a cruise without you knowing where you will be.
As to the ship, the Sirena is a 17 year old ship and it still looks like it. Other than make all the staterooms smaller to gain more revenue, it is a mystery as to where the money went.
The biggest shock was the size of the Penthouse. It had no closets and very limited space to put your clothes. Any cruise over 12 days would be an issue. The bathroom is a joke. You can almost take a shower, go to the toilet, and shave without moving. The width of the bathroom is so small it is hard to describe it. The shower is approx. 3’X 4’
I feel sorry for the passengers that did not have penthouses.
On the positive side, the food was great.
The ports we visited were great. The disappointment was their decision to stop in a great port on Sunday when 90% of the sights were closed. They stayed there the full day loading ship supplies.
Making things worse, is the ship hit an underground cable due to a Pilot error. We had to stay another day in port and miss a great port that was on the itinerary. They offered everyone a $200.00 shipboard credit on a future cruise; they can keep it.
Finally, we received a notice in our stateroom that the transportation cost between Le Havre and Paris would be $1600.00 if you had more than two bags and wanted a car versus being on a Bus for 3 hours!
I strongly recommend you stay from this ship if you want to experience a great cruise; there competitors offer such better choices
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Places of interest
- 2 getting to CDG
- 3 Croatia transportation question.
- 4 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 5 Ireland hotel questions
- 6 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 7 vienna
- 8 Questions about Polish sights
- 9 Croatia Ferry Help
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 12 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 13 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 14 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 15 Ireland travel passport question
- 16 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 17 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 18 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 19 Switzerland in November?
- 20 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 21 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 22 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 23 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 24 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 25 Barcelona cooking classes
Old Ship and Waste of Money