Europe Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

View all Europe activity »
  1. 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
  2. 2 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
  3. 3 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
  4. 4 Trip Report Great Value Vacations - NOT
  5. 5 Christmas Markets France/Germany
  6. 6 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
  7. 7 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
  8. 8 Paris to Italy
  9. 9 Spanish Medical Providers
  10. 10 Electrical Power Conversion
  11. 11 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
  12. 12 Douro Valley in January?
  13. 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
  14. 14 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
  15. 15 Trip Report Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
  16. 16 Trip Report Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
  17. 17 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
  18. 18 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
  19. 19 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
  20. 20 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
  21. 21 Trip Report Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
  22. 22 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
  23. 23 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
  24. 24 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
  25. 25 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
View next 25 » Back to the top

OAT ignores State Dept. Warning in regards to travel to SE Turkey

Jump to last reply

We are supposed to leave the US on Oct. 2 for a trip to Turkey with OAT. Last week I received a travel warning from the US State Department advising the following" "The Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens defer non-essential travel to southeastern Turkey.

I am currently comfortable traveling on the main trip (Istanbul, Cappadocia, Turquoise Coast) but I am shocked to learn that OAT has decided that the post trip is still going on (goes to SE Turkey cities of Mardin, Urfa, and Gaziantep.) When asked why they are disregarding the State Dept. warning, they tell me that their people tell them it is safe...but of course they will not even tell me where their people are located.

Although I have purchased the travel insurance I am unable for some unknown reason to cancel just the post trip and be reimbursed. The only options they have given me are cancel the entire trip or go on the trip but refrain from going on the post trip and loss $2,000. The post trip portion of the trip is over a month away but they insist it is too late to cancel.

While have used this forum extensively to plan trips and always appreciated everyone's advice, but this is the first time I really need some advice. Has anyone ever had this type of experience when a tour company disregards the travel advisory or experience dealing with OAT? Should I trust OAT or trust the State Department?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

10 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement