I am in the very early stages of planning a trip to Italy either next year or the year after in the peak season of summer to accommodate school schedules. We will be two adults and a teenager. We are thinking of 14 touring days and want to cover a huge area. I need help narrowing it down and having it make sense without exhausting ourselves in the process.This will be the first trip to Italy for all of us.
Idea is to fly into Venice and out of Rome. We want to cover Venice-Florence-Tuscany-Amalfi Coast-Rome-in that 14 day time frame. Is it too much to cover? Is it doable?
I know this question has been asked so many times but how many days is good for Venice?
Venice 2 or 3 nights?
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany--Siena? 2 nights
either train from Florence to Sorrento or Salerno or drive from Siena to Sorrento or Salerno--what do you recommend?
Sorrento or Salerno as base for Amalfi--3 or 4 nights?
Rome 4 or 5 nights--which do you recommend for a first time visit?
In Tuscany--would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, Montepucliano. Can Lucca and Pisa both be done in one day? Should we skip one of these? Which one?
In Amalfi--want to visit Pompeii and Herculeneum, Ravello and Positano, maybe boat to Capri? Paestum? how many nights needed? Where is the better base?
I heard many negative reports about Venice--smells of the canal in summer, expensive, crowds, pigeons etc. However, the architecture looks stunning.
I appreciate your feedback as I go through this process
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hello@ ☎ 1:800:681:7208 MCAFEE Install CONTACTs MCAFEE Technical Care
- 2 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 3 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 4 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 5 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 6 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 7 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 8 Studying art in English in venice
- 9 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 10 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 11 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 12 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 13 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 14 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 15 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 16 Berlin to ?
- 17 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 18 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 19 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 20 Trogir or Split
- 21 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 22 Scotland
- 23 Hotels in Turin
- 24 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 25 Istria in two days