I am in the very early stages of planning a trip to Italy either next year or the year after in the peak season of summer to accommodate school schedules. We will be two adults and a teenager. We are thinking of 14 touring days and want to cover a huge area. I need help narrowing it down and having it make sense without exhausting ourselves in the process.This will be the first trip to Italy for all of us.
Idea is to fly into Venice and out of Rome. We want to cover Venice-Florence-Tuscany-Amalfi Coast-Rome-in that 14 day time frame. Is it too much to cover? Is it doable?
I know this question has been asked so many times but how many days is good for Venice?
Venice 2 or 3 nights?
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany--Siena? 2 nights
either train from Florence to Sorrento or Salerno or drive from Siena to Sorrento or Salerno--what do you recommend?
Sorrento or Salerno as base for Amalfi--3 or 4 nights?
Rome 4 or 5 nights--which do you recommend for a first time visit?
In Tuscany--would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, Montepucliano. Can Lucca and Pisa both be done in one day? Should we skip one of these? Which one?
In Amalfi--want to visit Pompeii and Herculeneum, Ravello and Positano, maybe boat to Capri? Paestum? how many nights needed? Where is the better base?
I heard many negative reports about Venice--smells of the canal in summer, expensive, crowds, pigeons etc. However, the architecture looks stunning.
I appreciate your feedback as I go through this process
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 waeva awebawe aweawe
- 2 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 3 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 4 Charming areas to explore in London
- 5 Stu Tower
- 6 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 7 YIKES!
- 8 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 9 Drive from MXP to Lake Como (Moltrasio)
- 10 travel around Spain
- 11 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 12 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 13 Madeira-anyone been recently?
- 14 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 15 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 16 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 17 Labor Day in Paris
- 18 I cuisine vs Cookin With Class
- 19 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 20 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 21 Train up the Jungfrau
- 22 credit and debit cards
- 23 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 24 Almalfi
- 25 hotels in the Eixample district of Barcelona