I am in the very early stages of planning a trip to Italy either next year or the year after in the peak season of summer to accommodate school schedules. We will be two adults and a teenager. We are thinking of 14 touring days and want to cover a huge area. I need help narrowing it down and having it make sense without exhausting ourselves in the process.This will be the first trip to Italy for all of us.
Idea is to fly into Venice and out of Rome. We want to cover Venice-Florence-Tuscany-Amalfi Coast-Rome-in that 14 day time frame. Is it too much to cover? Is it doable?
I know this question has been asked so many times but how many days is good for Venice?
Venice 2 or 3 nights?
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany--Siena? 2 nights
either train from Florence to Sorrento or Salerno or drive from Siena to Sorrento or Salerno--what do you recommend?
Sorrento or Salerno as base for Amalfi--3 or 4 nights?
Rome 4 or 5 nights--which do you recommend for a first time visit?
In Tuscany--would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, Montepucliano. Can Lucca and Pisa both be done in one day? Should we skip one of these? Which one?
In Amalfi--want to visit Pompeii and Herculeneum, Ravello and Positano, maybe boat to Capri? Paestum? how many nights needed? Where is the better base?
I heard many negative reports about Venice--smells of the canal in summer, expensive, crowds, pigeons etc. However, the architecture looks stunning.
I appreciate your feedback as I go through this process
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 2 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Paris to Italy
- 7 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 8 Driving through Paris
- 9 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 10 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 11 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Road trip with our dog
- 18 Frankfurt to UK
- 19 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 20 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 21 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 22 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 23 Electrical Power Conversion
- 24 Douro Valley in January?
- 25 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?