FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH
Our departure date couldn't come sooner. It felt as if we had been planning this trip FOREVER! Well, we had, I suppose. It was last Fall we decided to go to Amsterdam, Bruges and Paris.
With travel dates established and flights booked, I began the task of finding accommodations. I secured an apartment in Paris first - same building where we stayed two years ago on Rue Galande, one floor higher in apartment Fleur de Lys.
The search for a room in Amsterdam was more challenging. Every hotel I checked showed no availability for our dates! We soon learned there is a huge international media convention held annually in the city and in 2013, there were 50,000 participants! Yikes! We considered changing our itinerary but in the end, we decided that the dates we chose and traveling from north to south worked best for us. When DH found availability at the Marriott for 440 euros (yikes, again!), I asked to have one more afternoon to look again. Fortunately, I found a wonderful B&B called Tulipa and it was only 225 euros! It's all relative, I guess!
In Bruges, I booked the lovely Cote Canal for the location and canal views. Not only that, there is a resident yellow Labrador retriever, Fidel. By the time we reach Bruges, DH & I will be missing our 9 year old lab so it will be nice to get our 'dog fix'.
With everything in place for our Fall trip, we could look forward to our busy travel year ahead: NYC in April, Sheridan Lake in B.C.'s Cariboo region in May and my ladies' trip to Calgary in June. Europe was nicely placed in September.
Here's our itinerary:
September 9 - 13: Amsterdam
September 14 - 17: Bruges
September 18 - 28: Paris
But now it is Friday and we are feeling a bit impatient for our departure day to come - only a few more days!
Let the grand adventure begin!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One week in London with kids
- 2 favorite app for converting US $$
- 3 Positano Surprise
- 4 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 5 Trip in September
- 6 Sunday Afternoon lunch in Antwerpen
- 7 Prague tour guide Ron Hoffberg
- 8 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
- 9 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 10 Venice, Orvieto, Rome with Tweens Part 1.
- 11 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 12 Cornwall - St. Ives, SW Coastal Path-Travel Questions Need Answering!
- 13 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 14 SNCF - low price for summer
- 15 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 16 Light weight small converter?
- 17 Dublin and Northern Ireland with public transportation
- 18 Short Visit to Munich for the Christmas markets
- 19 Italy Itinerary Advice
- 20 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 21 Best of Norway
- 22 Escorted tours Norway
- 23 Munich Hotel Location
- 24 Small towns not too near Paris
- 25 Car rental help in Sicily
Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH