Do you recommend commencing the NIN trip from Oslo or Bergen to avoid the crowds in mid-August?
I am planning on spending a couple of nights in Balestrand so from a logistics perspective it made sense to start the NIN from Oslo. We plan to drive since we will have kids under 7 years so we need that convenience. For example:
1. Drive from Oslo to Myrdal. Spend the night in Myrdal.
2. Morning, do the NIN tour: train (Myrdal to Flam)-boat (Flam to Gudvangen)-bus (Gudvangen to Voss).
3. Afternoon, catch the Bergen-Oslo train from Voss to Myrdal. Pick up the car and drive to Balestrand. Spend the night in Balestrand.
4. Spend a day or two in Balestrand.
5. Drive to Bergen to drop off the car.
I am not sure how I can do the stay in Balestrand, if I were to do the NIN from Bergen. I would definitely want to have a car for our travel in/around Balestrand. Any suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Andalucia Spain
- 2 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 3 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 4 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 5 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 6 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 7 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 8 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 9 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 10 Barcelona - places to stay
- 11 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 12 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 13 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 14 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 15 Christmas Markets 2017
- 16 Language to use in Belgium
- 17 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 18 Istanbul at Easter
- 19 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 20 Palermo Apartment
- 21 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 22 SURPRISE TRIP
- 23 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 24 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 25 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
Norway In A Nutshell...from Oslo or Bergen to avoid August crowds?