My husband and I are headed to Italy this October, 2014. We leave October 9 and return on October 26. This is our second trip to Italy - he proposed there 3 years ago, and at that time we went to Venice, Rome, Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, and the Amalfi Coast. This time, we would like to see the Lakes region and the Ligurian coast/Cinque Terre. I'm considering going to the Dolomites and going back to Tuscany, also, if time permits. We are in our early thirties, enjoy wandering, eating, and soaking in our surroundings. We generally travel at a slower pace and enjoy nicer accommodations. We are celebrating the completion of my medical residency, and our budget is pretty open. We will gladly splurge on places you all deem worthwhile. I've put together an itinerary but don't really think it's manageable. I wanted to know what you think I should take away or add to make this less frantic. The big problem I see with this itinerary is the abundance of two-night stays. I'd like to consolidate this to make for less checking in and checking out with day-trips instead, but am afraid I'm not familiar enough with the region to know how to do this. Of note, we were thinking of flying into Milan and out of Florence to avoid back-tracking. Thank you in advance for your help!
THURSDAY, 10/9: Fly USA to Milan (Overnight)
FRIDAY,10/10: Arrive in Milan 9am
SATURDAY, 10/11: Milan
SUNDAY, 10/12: Leave for Lake Como/Maggiore (sleep in Bellagio? Varenna? Stresa?)
MONDAY, 10/13: Lake Como/Maggiore
TUESDAY, 10/14: Lake Como/Maggiore
WEDNESDAY, 10/15: Lake Como/Maggiore
THURSDAY, 10/16: Leave for Dolomites (via Verona, sleep Castelrotto/Bolzano?)
FRIDAY, 10/17: Dolomites
SATURDAY, 10/18: Leave for Cinque Terre (sleep S. Margherita/Portovenere/Portofino?)
SUNDAY,10/19: Cinque Terre
MONDAY, 10/20: Leave for Bologna (sleep Bologna)
TUESDAY, 10/21: Bologna (day trip Modena/Parma?)
WEDNESDAY, 10/22: Leave for Tuscany (stay in Chianti? Pienza? Lucca?)
FRIDAY, 10/24: Leave for Florence (sleep in Florence)
SATURDAY, 10/25: Florence
SUNDAY, 10/26: Fly back to USA
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 2 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 3 Traveling in Belgium
- 4 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 5 Getting around London
- 6 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 7 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 8 Train travel to and from Paris
- 9 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 10 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 11 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 12 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 13 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 14 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 15 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 16 Gtg's in Paris this summer ?
- 17 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 18 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 19 Language to use in Belgium
- 20 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 21 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 22 Avignon Pass - How Does it Work?
- 23 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 24 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 25 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?