My husband and I are headed to Italy this October, 2014. We leave October 9 and return on October 26. This is our second trip to Italy - he proposed there 3 years ago, and at that time we went to Venice, Rome, Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, and the Amalfi Coast. This time, we would like to see the Lakes region and the Ligurian coast/Cinque Terre. I'm considering going to the Dolomites and going back to Tuscany, also, if time permits. We are in our early thirties, enjoy wandering, eating, and soaking in our surroundings. We generally travel at a slower pace and enjoy nicer accommodations. We are celebrating the completion of my medical residency, and our budget is pretty open. We will gladly splurge on places you all deem worthwhile. I've put together an itinerary but don't really think it's manageable. I wanted to know what you think I should take away or add to make this less frantic. The big problem I see with this itinerary is the abundance of two-night stays. I'd like to consolidate this to make for less checking in and checking out with day-trips instead, but am afraid I'm not familiar enough with the region to know how to do this. Of note, we were thinking of flying into Milan and out of Florence to avoid back-tracking. Thank you in advance for your help!
THURSDAY, 10/9: Fly USA to Milan (Overnight)
FRIDAY,10/10: Arrive in Milan 9am
SATURDAY, 10/11: Milan
SUNDAY, 10/12: Leave for Lake Como/Maggiore (sleep in Bellagio? Varenna? Stresa?)
MONDAY, 10/13: Lake Como/Maggiore
TUESDAY, 10/14: Lake Como/Maggiore
WEDNESDAY, 10/15: Lake Como/Maggiore
THURSDAY, 10/16: Leave for Dolomites (via Verona, sleep Castelrotto/Bolzano?)
FRIDAY, 10/17: Dolomites
SATURDAY, 10/18: Leave for Cinque Terre (sleep S. Margherita/Portovenere/Portofino?)
SUNDAY,10/19: Cinque Terre
MONDAY, 10/20: Leave for Bologna (sleep Bologna)
TUESDAY, 10/21: Bologna (day trip Modena/Parma?)
WEDNESDAY, 10/22: Leave for Tuscany (stay in Chianti? Pienza? Lucca?)
FRIDAY, 10/24: Leave for Florence (sleep in Florence)
SATURDAY, 10/25: Florence
SUNDAY, 10/26: Fly back to USA
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 2 Switzerland Itinerary in 5 days early-June
- 3 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 4 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 5 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 6 We're here!
- 7 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 8 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 9 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 10 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 11 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 12 Info about Poland
- 13 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 14 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 15 Barcelona question
- 16 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 17 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 18 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 19 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 20 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 21 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 22 Interesting places to visit
- 23 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 24 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 25 Advice on Berlin hotels