My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 written guide for Olympia
- 2 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 3 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 4 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 5 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 6 Naxos hotel question
- 7 Another "Beware of Cab RipOff" Story
- 8 England and Wales by public transport
- 9 St. Moritz best intermediate skiing
- 10 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 11 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 12 Visiting Carcassonne without a car
- 13 Europe Itinerary
- 14 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 15 Loire Valley itinerary
- 16 Amsterdam/Indonesian restaurants
- 17 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 18 Phone cards
- 19 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 20 Oktoberfest 2016 What to expect
- 21 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 22 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 23 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??
- 24 Tuscany in late Oct / early Nov 2016?
- 25 Anyone done a self-drive boat canal/river trip in France (or elsewhere)?