My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 2 No Periods in British Written English!
- 3 Doumo to Lampugnano bus station
- 4 How to rent a car
- 5 Mayrhofen August with nearly 5 year old and 5 months old?
- 6 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 7 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 8 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 9 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 10 Day trips from Florence
- 11 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 12 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 15 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 16 Perugia
- 17 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 18 May get together in Paris
- 19 Paris in September
- 20 Sicily Car Rental Company
- 21 First time in Bulgaria
- 22 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 23 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 24 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 25 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now