My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Normandy in October
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway- 1 week trip in May
- 2 To Prague or not to Prague
- 3 ISO London Flat w/Washer/Dryer Early May
- 4 Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015
- 5 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 6 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 7 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 8 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 9 Stansted Express or National Express - which is better?
- 10 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 11 France to Italy advice needed please
- 12 Skiing in Austria?
- 13 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 14 Rocamaxour
- 15 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 16 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 17 Germany for 3 weeks
- 18 Visiting Bastogne and nearby - should I stay there or Liege or elsewhere?
- 19 Is this realistic... advice?
- 20 Pickup rental car in Germany and drop off in Switzerland
- 21 Gastehaus Alpenkranz
- 22 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 23 Lake Como or Lake Maggiore for beauty and nature
- 24 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 25 Dordogne lodging