My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What neighborhood to stay in Paris?
- 2 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 3 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 4 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 5 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 6 Naples or Genoa
- 7 France to stop making foie grois
- 8 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 9 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 10 Greece Itinerary
- 11 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 12 My First Trip to Europe...
- 13 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 14 Road Maps of Ireland
- 15 Two-day Detour Before Amalfi Coast
- 16 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 17 Manchester on derby weekend
- 18 Rome to Positano
- 19 Day trips from Uzes
- 20 Itinerary Critique, please?
- 21 From London to Paris to US
- 22 Family of 4, 2 Young Teens, 14 Nights, 4 Countries
- 23 Lisbon ... Two days only ... Must see?
- 24 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 25 Puglia