My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 2 Advices about our itiniary
- 3 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 4 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 5 Paris Under Seige...
- 6 Lisbon Portugal to Madrid Spain in January
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 9 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 10 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 11 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 12 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 13 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 14 Stroller in Europe
- 15 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 16 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 17 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 18 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 19 Car rental leaving Rome
- 20 NEED HELP PLANNING SPAIN ITINERARY
- 21 Why Not Helsinki?
- 22 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 23 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 24 Transportation from Malpensa to Stresa
- 25 Suggestions for base in the Var