My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Questions about Polish sights
- 2 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 3 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 4 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 5 If you had to choose one......
- 6 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 Ireland travel passport question
- 9 Italy
- 10 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 13 Revised itinerary for italy
- 14 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 15 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 16 Biarritz family holiday
- 17 Lisbon hotel
- 18 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 19 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 20 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 21 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 22 4 Days in Tuscany
- 23 Switzerland
- 24 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 25 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days