An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
- 1 What size luggage?
- 2 Planning a honeymoon in Spain - most romantic areas??
- 3 Shuttle from CDG to Paris
- 4 Travel in Spain
- 5 I Need To Vent!
- 6 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 7 PARIS: apartment for a family of 4. Could use your help.
- 8 Two days in Amsterdam; bike tour
- 9 Dining in Rapallo and Camogli
- 10 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 11 Don't slight Bruges
- 12 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 13 Time from Venice airport to St Marks Square
- 14 10 days in Cortona- any suggestions ?
- 15 Daytrip from Waterford to Kilkenny
- 16 Seems to me this forum is a lot less active than in years past....
- 17 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 18 American Citizen Buying a Home in Spain
- 19 ? re hotels in 5 terre
- 20 jungfraujoch mid june
- 21 Shopping in France for the larger than average...
- 22 Please help with 4 day itinerary!!
- 23 3 LADIES - NAXOS OR PAROS AS BASE FOR 7 DAYS
- 24 please HELP--so confused!!
- 25 Where can we go from Genoa for three days