An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Birthday trip for Mom in May 2015
- 2 Venice Itinerary Help, Please
- 3 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 4 Walking in the dales: Sedbergh or Malhamdale?
- 5 Airbnb scam
- 6 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 7 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 8 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 9 Ventimiglia to Trieste
- 10 Tipping in the UK
- 11 Central Europe itinerary
- 12 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 13 floods in Andalucia
- 14 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years
- 15 Inexpensive Restaurant in Zurich
- 16 Walking through Hyde park with luggage on a Sat morning?
- 17 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 18 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 19 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 20 2 full days in Santorini, should we rent a car ?
- 21 Arriving in Prague
- 22 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 23 4 Months in Europe
- 24 2 Days in Rome
- 25 Using Debit Cards for Purchases