An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 2 Help with Central/ Eastern Europe
- 3 I went to Paris in June
- 4 Scotland - 1 week itinerary
- 5 One Town on the Amalfi Coast
- 6 Student Visas/Schengen Zone
- 7 Cell Phones in France & Spain
- 8 Bike touring in France
- 9 Spain Trip Ideas -Critique Welcome
- 10 Does this sound feasible?
- 11 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 12 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 13 Stay away from EF Tours
- 14 Madrid and London
- 15 Dress Code for the Vatican
- 16 One week SW England for a group with diverse interests
- 17 Spain- Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park
- 18 Trip report Lofoten in Norway
- 19 Paris with kids - a whirlwind even with 9 days!
- 20 Ireland driving vacation
- 21 Iceland - Rent Car or take Bus?
- 22 Norway -- Nutshell tour and Stavanger
- 23 Transport advise- Rome - Florence - Berlin - Copenhagen
- 24 What is the fastest and best way to travel across Europe
- 25 Where to spend 4-5 days in Moselle valley