An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trains in Italy
- 2 Air pollution in Paris
- 3 Good Hotels around Gare Montparnasse
- 4 Amazing customer services, i rented a 3g wi-fi device IUGO GADGETS FOR RENT
- 5 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 6 Using Euros and Visa Travel Money Debit Card in the Baltics and Russia
- 7 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 8 South of France November Trip Report
- 9 Rome---August and September
- 10 France, Italy and Greec
- 11 Best luggage for a 7 week trip
- 12 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 13 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 14 Dresden or Leipzig
- 15 Olive oil disaster in 2014
- 16 20 days in Germany
- 17 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 18 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 19 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 20 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 21 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 22 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 23 Barcelona and/or ??? with another family
- 24 Nice or Marseille??
- 25 Final segment: unsolicited advice for first time Portugal travellers