An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 2 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 3 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 4 train to Vernon France
- 5 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 6 A drive in Europe
- 7 Florence to Siena May 1st
- 8 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 9 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 10 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 11 Anyone stayed in Podere Spedalone?
- 12 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 13 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 14 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 15 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 16 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 17 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 18 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 19 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 20 Car rental at Southampton cruise terminal
- 21 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 22 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 23 nearby cities to london
- 24 Hotel in Venice
- 25 9 days in turkey