An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 2 Dresden Train Station
- 3 Chambermaid tipping
- 4 Stockholm Hotel Advice Help I'm torn Hotel Rival, Reisen or Story?????
- 5 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 6 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 7 Advent weekend in Quedlinburg
- 8 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 9 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 10 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 11 London for Christmas
- 12 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 13 River cruises
- 14 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 15 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 16 Week in Interlaken at end of February
- 17 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 18 More help with housing in Puglia
- 19 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 20 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 21 7 days in Andalucia
- 22 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 23 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 24 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 25 Switzerland up close...360 views