An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
- 1 Has anyone rented an apartment in Venice for 2-4 weeks?
- 2 Last monte Paris apartment
- 3 Burano - best day of week to visit
- 4 Lake Como & Venice - must sees, dos and eats??
- 5 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 6 When is the best time to buy train tickets/where?
- 7 Anyone heard of or used a hotel booking site called Olotels?
- 8 San Lorenzo Market
- 9 Christmas in the Netherlands: David Sadaris reads "6 to 8 Black Men"
- 10 Ireland - Doolin Ennis Dingle Kenmare Adare With Paragraph Breaks
- 11 To Madrid/Barcelona on Sunday! 8 Qs to help make the trip amazing
- 12 Places to stay for a tour of Normandy
- 13 Trip in June to andulusia and algrave portugal
- 14 Cuenca or Toledo
- 15 Nice
- 16 car rental agency near train station in Firenze
- 17 Parking in Florence, Italy
- 18 Norway experts needed.
- 19 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 20 Beatiful place near Aix-en-Provence or not too far from St Paul de Vence
- 21 Train from Amsterdam to Bruges
- 22 jungfraujoch mid june
- 23 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 24 Amalfi Coast and Transportation Help Needed
- 25 6 Weeks Traveling Around: Italy, Austria, Budapest, Paris