An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 2 First Time to UK since 2001
- 3 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 4 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 5 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 6 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 7 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 8 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 9 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 10 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 11 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 12 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 13 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 14 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 15 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 16 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 17 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 18 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 19 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 20 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 21 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 22 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 23 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 24 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 25 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget