An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Family European winter holiday
- 2 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 3 Florence in October
- 4 To Paris and Provence in June
- 5 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 6 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 7 Traveling within Italy
- 8 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 9 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 10 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 11 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 12 London at Easter
- 13 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 14 Normandy in mid Sept?
- 15 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 16 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 17 Italy: Planning a honeymoon....HELP!!!!
- 18 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 19 Advises for trip to Russia
- 20 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 21 Paris to Colmar by Car...Best Route/Stops along the way?
- 22 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 23 Which travel plan?
- 24 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia
- 25 Madrid to Sevilla