An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary update and request for help with side trip from Munich
- 2 Customs & Immigration Necessary at Frankfurt Germany Airport???
- 3 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 4 18 days - Turkey, Greece and Italy
- 5 Pisa or Siena?
- 6 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 7 2 nights in Venice - what restaurants should we not miss?
- 8 20th ANNIVERSARY TRIP ITALY Rome, Florence, Tuscany & other nearby towns.
- 9 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 10 How many nights in Vienna vs. Salzburg?
- 11 Interested In Coach Passes
- 12 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 13 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?
- 14 Belgium, Germany, Netherlands
- 15 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 16 MXP to Dolomites--Where To Stay In Between
- 17 Germany with friends who have never been there
- 18 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 19 Avignon to London?
- 20 Amsterdam: Recommendations on places to visit and eat
- 21 Last minute ideas anyone?
- 22 Another Maitai Pre-Adventure Conundrum
- 23 Splendid Summer Trip in Scotland and Ireland
- 24 taxi line at FCO airport
- 25 Barcelona itinerary- please help