An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 2 italy
- 3 7 Nights in Paris
- 4 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 5 Can I cancel 2 of 4 train tickets?
- 6 21 Days in Central Europe
- 7 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 8 Travel & Landscape Photography from around the world
- 9 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 10 What to wear
- 11 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 12 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 13 Overnight bus from Cappadocia to Pamukkale
- 14 storing luggage for 10 days in Paris?
- 15 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 16 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 17 Nice hotel (preferably with views) in Etretat, France?
- 18 A one-week car trip to Slovenia-Croatia (Bosnia?)
- 19 Italy Itinerary - Draft
- 20 Madrid and London
- 21 3 Week Europe Itinerary Help
- 22 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 23 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 24 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 25 Airport to Piraeus