An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 2 Garmisch Partenkirchen : Help pick a guest house/pension
- 3 Bregenz or Lindau
- 4 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 5 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 6 Barcelona/Andalucia
- 7 Pastry Classes in Paris
- 8 Weekend in Norfolk
- 9 Winter in Paris
- 10 Germany: From the Mosel to Munich - A Detailed Trip Report
- 11 I need some big advice!
- 12 Rome Italy air and land tour packages
- 13 Last full day in Paris - Canal St Martin area.
- 14 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 15 Checking or storing luggage at FCO
- 16 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 17 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 18 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 19 best transfer from Paris CDG to Paris hotel St Germain
- 20 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 21 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 22 Switzerland, Germany, Spain from april 13th to may 7th
- 23 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 24 Best beach town in Italy?
- 25 Italy and Croatia