An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sweden - Gothenburg and Malmö photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 2 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 3 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 4 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 5 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 6 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 7 Day trips from Marseille
- 8 Hotel in Venice
- 9 train to Vernon France
- 10 Avignon to London?
- 11 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 12 A drive in Europe
- 13 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 14 Venice
- 15 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 16 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 17 Sicily - Palermo, Cefalu, Taormina, Syracuse, Agrigento
- 18 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 19 Traveling to Munich
- 20 London tube
- 21 Sim Card for Data Plan
- 22 cooking classes
- 23 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 24 Paris Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe
- 25 Need to visit a hospital in Athens