My husband and I will be in Paris for three days this Dec. ? first time. Adding this stopover to our trip was a spontaneous decision and one I don?t want to regret, but I?m worried because neither of us speaks French, and I?m wondering if this was a really bad idea. I speak enough German, Spanish and Arabic to get by quite well, and thus haven?t had trouble when traveling in Germany, Mexico and the Middle East. I?ve already stocked up on conversational phrase books and CDs to help us master the basics of French, but I?m quite certain we won?t become fluent in the 6 weeks we have before leaving the US.
It seems like of all places, Paris is not the one to go to if you can?t speak the local language ? from everything I?ve read and heard, it appears to really offend Parisiens if you can?t speak French. I don?t want to get into a debate about that per se. I would just like your advice about restaurants and hotels that are more friendly to visitors who don?t speak French. (I was operating under the assumption that the more touristy areas would be more tourist-friendly and accepting of non-French speakers, but other threads on this board (?french is a dump? etc.) have made me think otherwise.)
Any advice? Was adding this stopover a terrible idea? Is Paris only meant to be enjoyed by those fluent in French?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 4 No Periods in British Written English!
- 5 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 6 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 7 First time in London
- 8 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 9 Greek fuel cost
- 10 VRBO South Kensington
- 11 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 12 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 13 Vacation
- 14 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 15 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 16 Menaggio/Varenna to St Moritz and back
- 17 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 18 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 19 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 20 Italian Honeymoon - But How!?!?
- 21 Villas to rent in Ibiza
- 22 Audio Walking Tour in London
- 23 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 24 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 25 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe