My husband and I will be in Paris for three days this Dec. ? first time. Adding this stopover to our trip was a spontaneous decision and one I don?t want to regret, but I?m worried because neither of us speaks French, and I?m wondering if this was a really bad idea. I speak enough German, Spanish and Arabic to get by quite well, and thus haven?t had trouble when traveling in Germany, Mexico and the Middle East. I?ve already stocked up on conversational phrase books and CDs to help us master the basics of French, but I?m quite certain we won?t become fluent in the 6 weeks we have before leaving the US.
It seems like of all places, Paris is not the one to go to if you can?t speak the local language ? from everything I?ve read and heard, it appears to really offend Parisiens if you can?t speak French. I don?t want to get into a debate about that per se. I would just like your advice about restaurants and hotels that are more friendly to visitors who don?t speak French. (I was operating under the assumption that the more touristy areas would be more tourist-friendly and accepting of non-French speakers, but other threads on this board (?french is a dump? etc.) have made me think otherwise.)
Any advice? Was adding this stopover a terrible idea? Is Paris only meant to be enjoyed by those fluent in French?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 2 Car rental help in Sicily
- 3 Italy Itinerary Advice
- 4 Small towns not too near Paris
- 5 Munich Hotel Location
- 6 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 7 Trip in September
- 8 Escorted tours Norway
- 9 Help with basic itinerary
- 10 Wake Up Mods
- 11 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 12 Scandinavia Itinerary help!
- 13 Short Visit to Munich for the Christmas markets
- 14 Meeting up in the Zurich airport
- 15 favorite app for converting US $$
- 16 Italy - hiking, active, with Sicily
- 17 Clean up spam
- 18 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 19 Driving in Croatia
- 20 Croatia - Zadar or Hvar or Korcula?
- 21 Charming areas to explore in London
- 22 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 23 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 24 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
- 25 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please