Day 1 Bellagio, Lake Como
We had to wake up at 5 am because our train from Venice to Lake Como left at 6:58 am. We caught the vaparetto at 5:55 am and got to the train station at 6:20. Todd slept the whole way to Milan and then we transferred to a regional train to Varenna, then ferry to Bellagio.
Unfortunately, it was a very hazy day so it wasn't the perfect entrance to Bellagio. However, you could still peek through the clouds and see how gorgeous this place was. The mountain peaks with the lake glistening. The grand Italian villas and hotels lining the lakefront. We pulled up to our hotel - Hotel Florence. It looks very nice from the exterior and were pleasantly surprised to see how nice the interior was. The lobby had rustic wood beamed ceilings, upholstered chairs, a beautiful fireplace, and the most unique chandeliers and sconces. Our room was also very pleasing - hardwood floors, wooden beamed ceilings, big bathroom, nice color scheme with headboard and draperies. We also had a huge terrace with flowers and our own little garden with table and chairs. We put our bags down and went to explore.
This lakeside village surrounded by mountains seems so removed from the rest of the world. It just has this calming effect and tranquil feeling. Maybe its because there are so many colorful trees that line the sidewalks and even all the ledges have bright annuals. No detail has been left unturned in this idyllic town. You can also see the Swiss Alps in the distance. We also loved how many benches there were. Bellagio makes viewing the lake and mountains very easy. It is the perfect place for our 4th city on our vacation because of the serene setting. It actually feels like this place could be a postcard.
We went to have lunch at our hotel which has this awesome outdoor terrace overlooking the lake with this amazing trellis overhead covered in vines. The lunch was very good. We then wanted to check out the town so we quickly realized that to go shopping, we needed to walk vertically up all of those stairs! haha. It really had a quaint feeling and I just adored it. The cobblestone streets had some mighty big "stones", so thank goodness I had on sturdy shoes. All of the vendors seemed so friendly and in good moods - this place makes it impossible not to be. Or perhaps they smelled tourist money.
We went back to our room for a rest and then went to another lakefront terrace down the boulevard and had dessert. We were so utterly relaxed at this point and couldn't believe we had 7 more days of vacation of our 3 week vacation. Life is good....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 2 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 3 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 4 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 5 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 6 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 7 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 8 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 9 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 10 38 Days in Paris
- 11 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 12 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 13 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 14 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 15 Taxi Cost / Uber Question
- 16 How the kids age calculated
- 17 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 18 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 19 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 20 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 21 roadtrip from Barcelona to Madrid
- 22 Beaune France
- 23 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 24 Firt time VISA applicant
- 25 Cordoba Overnight?
No wonder George Clooney picked Lake Como!
Day 1 Bellagio, Lake Como