Looking for advice about upcoming trip to Croatia. We'll be arriving on Good Friday into Dubrovnik and fly out nine days later from Zagreb. So, a short-ish trip with travel necessary and built-in.
We'd like to spend time in Dubrovnik, Plitvice and at least a night in Zagreb. We'd also like to see a bit of Montenegro, and islands if possible, and wineries up the coast.
My concerns are these:
1. How much can we expect to see over Easter weekend? (Ie. will transport, museums, activities, shops, etc, shut down, and if so, should we just plan on hunkering down in Dubrovnik until Monday or Tuesday? Will things re-open on Monday?)
2. What's the best way to get around out-of-season? Is public transport a good option? What about ferries to the islands? (I'm assuming some shut down?) Would car hire be recommended, either for convenience or for better sight-seeing?
3. What's the feasibility of slipping into Montenegro into a trip of this length, and if it's feasible, where would people recommend? (Kotor?)
4. Besides Plitvice, what are other must-sees (bearing in mind our time constraints) up the coast?
5. In general, what are recommended itineraries for this short but, we hope, scenic trip?
We're not particularly wealthy, incidentally (well, we're not wealthy at all, really), so we'll be travelling on a budget, albeit one that can accommodate decent accommodation and nice meals.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 2 Germany in December Trip Report
- 3 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 4 Cote d'Azur beach clubs
- 5 13 N euro trip itinerary
- 6 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 7 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 8 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 9 Paris: Best (or Worst) Apartment Rental Companies
- 10 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 11 Travelling from Tromso to Lofoten Islands
- 12 Norway Self-Drive - Winter 2017
- 13 French restaurants
- 14 Azores in February
- 15 Trains in Alps and UK
- 16 Scotland Trip
- 17 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 18 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 19 Lisbon trip report
- 20 How Do You Know They Are Not Killers? — An Italy Trip Report
- 21 Ireland in April
- 22 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
- 23 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 24 Driving in Italy?
- 25 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa