Looking for advice about upcoming trip to Croatia. We'll be arriving on Good Friday into Dubrovnik and fly out nine days later from Zagreb. So, a short-ish trip with travel necessary and built-in.
We'd like to spend time in Dubrovnik, Plitvice and at least a night in Zagreb. We'd also like to see a bit of Montenegro, and islands if possible, and wineries up the coast.
My concerns are these:
1. How much can we expect to see over Easter weekend? (Ie. will transport, museums, activities, shops, etc, shut down, and if so, should we just plan on hunkering down in Dubrovnik until Monday or Tuesday? Will things re-open on Monday?)
2. What's the best way to get around out-of-season? Is public transport a good option? What about ferries to the islands? (I'm assuming some shut down?) Would car hire be recommended, either for convenience or for better sight-seeing?
3. What's the feasibility of slipping into Montenegro into a trip of this length, and if it's feasible, where would people recommend? (Kotor?)
4. Besides Plitvice, what are other must-sees (bearing in mind our time constraints) up the coast?
5. In general, what are recommended itineraries for this short but, we hope, scenic trip?
We're not particularly wealthy, incidentally (well, we're not wealthy at all, really), so we'll be travelling on a budget, albeit one that can accommodate decent accommodation and nice meals.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 2 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 3 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 4 Quizz !
- 5 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 6 Pay attention to your watches !
- 7 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 8 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 9 Schengen Rule
- 10 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Christmas Day in Granada
- 13 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 14 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 15 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 16 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 17 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 18 Zurich to Milan trip
- 19 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 20 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 21 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 24 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 25 Venice/Mestre