We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK Visa Help
- 2 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 3 Spain in December
- 4 advance tickets?
- 5 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 6 Cell Phone Question
- 7 Help required with Itinerary
- 8 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 9 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 10 Greek Islands (small)
- 11 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 12 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 13 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 14 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 15 K-Day
- 16 tickets for the Tower's Ceremony of the Keys
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 19 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 20 Best place to park in Bath and Windsor
- 21 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 22 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 23 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 24 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 25 Opinion on sights in Florence