We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Nights in Provence
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 2 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 3 6 nights to spend between salzburg and austria
- 4 London and Where Else in late December?
- 5 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 6 Germany - Hamburg to Munich Itinerary advice
- 7 Greece-carhire-ferries.
- 8 London - Site List Triage -
- 9 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 10 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 11 Driving from Delphi to Nafplion
- 12 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 13 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 14 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 15 What is the LEAST expensive way to see the interior of Opera Garnier?
- 16 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 17 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 18 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 19 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 20 A Superb 8 Days in Dresden
- 21 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 22 Southern Ireland Help
- 23 Bologna tips
- 24 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 25 Electronic plug adapter for Italy