We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 2 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 3 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 4 First Time Solo Travel info
- 5 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 6 Budapest Hotels
- 7 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 8 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 9 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 10 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 11 London's Must Sights!
- 12 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 13 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 14 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 15 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 16 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 17 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 18 4 days in switzerland
- 19 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 20 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 21 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 22 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 23 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 24 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 25 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford