We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 2 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Germany train help!
- 5 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 6 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 7 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 8 Swiss Travel Pass
- 9 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 10 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 11 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
- 12 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 13 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 14 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 15 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 16 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 17 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 18 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 19 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 20 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 21 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 22 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 23 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 24 We're here!
- 25 Acropolis Athens