We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 2 Sentimental Journey
- 3 A few last minute questions
- 4 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 5 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 6 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 7 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 8 3 weeks, 3 European Countries, 6 cities
- 9 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 10 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 11 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 12 Venice - Tour suggestions
- 13 Stay away from EF Tours
- 14 French Vacation in Mid-America
- 15 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 16 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 17 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 18 Is Mljet a reasonable substitute for Korcula?
- 19 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 20 Croatia: Zagreb to Dubrovnik HELP
- 21 Antwerp Tram
- 22 Trip report European honeymoon
- 23 Tour of La Scala, Milan
- 24 RER C to Versailles on Wed. - still a good option due to Paris strikes?
- 25 Day trip from Split to Hvar - to Stari Grad or Hvar City?