We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time in Greece
- 2 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 3 Netherlands, Alps, Tuscany
- 4 Rome & Amalfi Coast (driving/Public Transit questions)
- 5 Reservations needed for Frankfurt->Offenburg train?
- 6 BritRail Pass Seat Reservation Cost
- 7 Help with Sapin and Portugal itinerary please
- 8 What's your favorite indoor passage In Paris?
- 9 Hotel Lorelei et Londres, Sorrento. Whatever happened to it?
- 10 Itinerary help needed for month in France.
- 11 San Vito Lo Capo or Terrassini
- 12 Please critique my itinerary
- 13 Shipping wine from Italy to Massachusetts
- 14 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 15 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 16 Path of the gods.
- 17 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 18 Santorini
- 19 Help! Scotland Itinerary
- 20 Cordoba or Granada?
- 21 Planning roundtrip Greece
- 22 2 wk in Italy-Venice/Florence/CT/Pisa/Rome
- 23 Rome for a week
- 24 Need advice to plan a trip for graduation gift
- 25 5 women, Italy, need suggestions