We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Nights in Provence
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 2 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 3 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 4 Where to stay in Rome
- 5 5 nights to get from Paris to Rome - What to do??
- 6 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 7 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 8 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 9 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 10 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 11 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 12 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 13 Sicily Suggetions
- 14 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 15 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 16 North of Spain from Bilbao
- 17 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 18 Heathrow Airport Hotel
- 19 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin
- 20 7 days in Greece
- 21 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 22 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins
- 23 London hotel
- 24 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 25 A drive in Europe