Found this site a couple of weeks back and have been reading a LOT of fantastic info!
Husband and I are landing at Malpensa at 10:30 on the last Sat of Sept and driving to Sestri Levante. Have read all about train options but we would both prefer to drive. Trying to find a couple of options where we could stop en route.
Bit of background - this is our first time in Italy (and my first time outside Britain apart from day trips to France). Flight from Gatwick is only 2 hours but we will have driven 5 hours the night before to get to the airport. I'd love to find somewhere not too far off the route where we could stop for an hour or two, grab someting for lunch and enjoy finally being in Itay.
We like churches, castles, people watching and the outdoors, not too keen on navigating and parking anywhere too crazy/built up so soon after we arrive.
Certosa di Pavia seemed ideal but is closed 11:30-2:30. Will that be the case with most places? What is Pavia itself like?
I've looked at the route on multimap and googled lots of place names but would really love a personal recommendation - thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 2 What tips can you give about packing?
- 3 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 4 Porte de Vanves or Clignancourt
- 5 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 6 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 7 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 8 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 9 SHIP LUGGAGE
- 10 2 Months in Sicily
- 11 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 12 Barcelona, hiking in Pyrenees + which other? (Costa Brava or Mallorca?)
- 13 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 14 Ludwig Castles
- 15 Hallstatt tour recommendations?
- 16 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 17 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 18 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 19 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 20 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 21 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 22 Short Trip in July
- 23 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 24 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 25 HIking through France for 2 weeks