I would love to be a traveler (I think), but I am not that savvy due to lack of experience.*
After trying to get my immediate family to travel with me for years, I have given up and decided to take my college-age niece to Europe. We would like to hit some of the major highlights - and could do a couple of tours if it is easy. I am thinking 12-21 days, maybe May 2012 (she is taking this semester off).
Budget is not my primary concern: I like nice things and good food**, but I am also hoping for great bang for the buck. First time out I probably want to see the typical highlights (the Sistine Chapel, etc.) and get a taste for what I'd like to see more of. I would prize intellect and knowledge in a tour guide. I am moderately fit (walk 3-5 miles with my pups most days).
HELP! I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed by my choices. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
*My only non-North American travel is to Ireland (mainly County Cork staying with friends of boyfriend) for two weeks over Christmas twenty+ years ago. I barely remember this due to fatigue from dark days and having everybody buy "the Americans" drinks everywhere we went -but it was lovely nonetheless.
**I do go to New York City once or twice a year, and have eaten at Bouley, Le Bernadin, etc. I don't have to have that luxurious a meal, I'm just not a total country bumpkin either!
Nice Multi-country European tour(s) for Neophyte Traveler and Niece
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 2 Paris in January: 2 Days
- 3 Christmas in Munich
- 4 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 5 Amsterdam for a few hours, would you?
- 6 Amsterdam--where to stay??
- 7 Moving to Belfast
- 8 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 9 Dresden restaurant recs: December 2014
- 10 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 11 LIVIGNO - Ski School
- 12 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 13 Confused about Norway in a Nutshell!
- 14 2 Weeks in Switzerland in December
- 15 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 16 Mt Titlus Engelberg mountain
- 17 Luggage sizing
- 18 Why go further, Manchester Christmas Markets back soon.
- 19 Iceland tour, first time - advice appreciated!
- 20 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 21 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 22 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 23 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 24 Bodrum to Rhodes ferry or hydrofoil schedule
- 25 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid