I would love to be a traveler (I think), but I am not that savvy due to lack of experience.*
After trying to get my immediate family to travel with me for years, I have given up and decided to take my college-age niece to Europe. We would like to hit some of the major highlights - and could do a couple of tours if it is easy. I am thinking 12-21 days, maybe May 2012 (she is taking this semester off).
Budget is not my primary concern: I like nice things and good food**, but I am also hoping for great bang for the buck. First time out I probably want to see the typical highlights (the Sistine Chapel, etc.) and get a taste for what I'd like to see more of. I would prize intellect and knowledge in a tour guide. I am moderately fit (walk 3-5 miles with my pups most days).
HELP! I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed by my choices. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
*My only non-North American travel is to Ireland (mainly County Cork staying with friends of boyfriend) for two weeks over Christmas twenty+ years ago. I barely remember this due to fatigue from dark days and having everybody buy "the Americans" drinks everywhere we went -but it was lovely nonetheless.
**I do go to New York City once or twice a year, and have eaten at Bouley, Le Bernadin, etc. I don't have to have that luxurious a meal, I'm just not a total country bumpkin either!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 2 French restaurants
- 3 Driving in Italy?
- 4 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 5 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 6 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 7 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 8 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 9 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 10 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 11 St Remy to Nice in Three Days?
- 12 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 13 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 14 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 15 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 16 Shoes in Scotland
- 17 Engadine Valley help
- 18 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 19 Naples, Italy
- 20 Ireland in April
- 21 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 22 Tuscany 6 nights
- 23 Ireland travel passport question
- 24 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 25 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
Nice Multi-country European tour(s) for Neophyte Traveler and Niece