I would love to be a traveler (I think), but I am not that savvy due to lack of experience.*
After trying to get my immediate family to travel with me for years, I have given up and decided to take my college-age niece to Europe. We would like to hit some of the major highlights - and could do a couple of tours if it is easy. I am thinking 12-21 days, maybe May 2012 (she is taking this semester off).
Budget is not my primary concern: I like nice things and good food**, but I am also hoping for great bang for the buck. First time out I probably want to see the typical highlights (the Sistine Chapel, etc.) and get a taste for what I'd like to see more of. I would prize intellect and knowledge in a tour guide. I am moderately fit (walk 3-5 miles with my pups most days).
HELP! I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed by my choices. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
*My only non-North American travel is to Ireland (mainly County Cork staying with friends of boyfriend) for two weeks over Christmas twenty+ years ago. I barely remember this due to fatigue from dark days and having everybody buy "the Americans" drinks everywhere we went -but it was lovely nonetheless.
**I do go to New York City once or twice a year, and have eaten at Bouley, Le Bernadin, etc. I don't have to have that luxurious a meal, I'm just not a total country bumpkin either!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 4 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 5 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 6 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 7 Planning A trip
- 8 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 9 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 10 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 11 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 12 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 13 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 14 Castle Stays in Wales
- 15 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 16 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 17 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 18 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 19 Can parking
- 20 italy Cinque Terre
- 21 San Sebastián
- 22 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 23 Zurich to Milan trip
- 24 Would like help planning a 16-21 day week trip to Spain and/or Portugal
- 25 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
Nice Multi-country European tour(s) for Neophyte Traveler and Niece