I would love to be a traveler (I think), but I am not that savvy due to lack of experience.*
After trying to get my immediate family to travel with me for years, I have given up and decided to take my college-age niece to Europe. We would like to hit some of the major highlights - and could do a couple of tours if it is easy. I am thinking 12-21 days, maybe May 2012 (she is taking this semester off).
Budget is not my primary concern: I like nice things and good food**, but I am also hoping for great bang for the buck. First time out I probably want to see the typical highlights (the Sistine Chapel, etc.) and get a taste for what I'd like to see more of. I would prize intellect and knowledge in a tour guide. I am moderately fit (walk 3-5 miles with my pups most days).
HELP! I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed by my choices. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
*My only non-North American travel is to Ireland (mainly County Cork staying with friends of boyfriend) for two weeks over Christmas twenty+ years ago. I barely remember this due to fatigue from dark days and having everybody buy "the Americans" drinks everywhere we went -but it was lovely nonetheless.
**I do go to New York City once or twice a year, and have eaten at Bouley, Le Bernadin, etc. I don't have to have that luxurious a meal, I'm just not a total country bumpkin either!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 2 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 3 Car necessary in Wengen, Switzerland
- 4 Ireland driving itinerary
- 5 Decrepit dame does Deutschland
- 6 AIr France on strike ... as usual.
- 7 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 8 England in a week - what's realistic
- 9 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 10 0ne day trip from Lisbon to Porto
- 11 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 12 gare de nord
- 13 Do you recommend a walking tour of Trogir
- 14 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 15 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 16 Barcelona extension
- 17 Our time in Rome
- 18 Has anyone used their Pass Navogo for more than 10 years?
- 19 Enjoying England for a year!
- 20 My First Trip to Europe...
- 21 French Riviera
- 22 Madrid city centre?
- 23 Southern Italy
- 24 Stonehenge and Bath
- 25 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
Nice Multi-country European tour(s) for Neophyte Traveler and Niece