I would love to be a traveler (I think), but I am not that savvy due to lack of experience.*
After trying to get my immediate family to travel with me for years, I have given up and decided to take my college-age niece to Europe. We would like to hit some of the major highlights - and could do a couple of tours if it is easy. I am thinking 12-21 days, maybe May 2012 (she is taking this semester off).
Budget is not my primary concern: I like nice things and good food**, but I am also hoping for great bang for the buck. First time out I probably want to see the typical highlights (the Sistine Chapel, etc.) and get a taste for what I'd like to see more of. I would prize intellect and knowledge in a tour guide. I am moderately fit (walk 3-5 miles with my pups most days).
HELP! I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed by my choices. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
*My only non-North American travel is to Ireland (mainly County Cork staying with friends of boyfriend) for two weeks over Christmas twenty+ years ago. I barely remember this due to fatigue from dark days and having everybody buy "the Americans" drinks everywhere we went -but it was lovely nonetheless.
**I do go to New York City once or twice a year, and have eaten at Bouley, Le Bernadin, etc. I don't have to have that luxurious a meal, I'm just not a total country bumpkin either!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 2 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 3 Hiking in Switzerland
- 4 Need advice on the place to visit in Prague
- 5 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 6 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 7 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 8 Notes on our Edinburgh trip (end of May 2017)
- 9 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 10 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 11 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 12 Edinbrugh
- 13 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 14 Maximizing Norway time
- 15 TR-Croatia and Italy. A bit long but it's all here in one post.
- 16 TravelCard vs Oyster
- 17 Best layover option
- 18 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 19 Spanish Civil War Tour in Barcelona
- 20 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 21 Berlin
- 22 Ideas for drive from Munich to Ramstein/Kaiserslautern to Garmisch
- 23 Scotland: North West Highlands: July 2012
- 24 3 days solo in London
- 25 Info for Edinburgh visit
Nice Multi-country European tour(s) for Neophyte Traveler and Niece