I have done a bit of research, and have booked air (September 2015) into Zurich, first hotel will be in Murren for four nights. Not sure where to go from there - we depart from Amsterdam three weeks later.
We are a married couple who like:
-three or four night minimum in each place
-Rhine River (Bacharach?) is definitely on our list
-Bruges is also on the list
-we enjoy small towns, great eating, picnicing, wine, hiking, art in small doses, music (Strasbourg? Musical instrument museum in Brussels?), and recreational biking (we often rent a tandem bike); don't really plan on visiting the big cities other than Amsterdam. Not interested in war sites. We are independent travelers who often rent apartments instead of hotels.
Can you give me suggestions for 2-4 places in between the above stops?
We took our first trip to Europe last year (France and Italy), and thanks to wonderful help from fellow Fodorites, fell in love with Tuscany and the Loire Valley. Air France strike scored us two free roundtrips this year (imagine!) and so it was a tough decision NOT to return to Tuscany, but we don't know if we will ever get another chance to see Europe.
While researching France last trip, we were very tempted to travel the Alsace wine road in France. Would that be logical on this trip? Or is seeing the Rhine so similar that one would cancel out the other?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 2 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 3 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 4 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 5 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 6 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 7 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 8 Bordeaux to Nice
- 9 Greek Village
- 10 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 11 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 12 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 13 Uber vs. TfL
- 14 Berlin
- 15 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 16 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 17 Germany or Sweden
- 18 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 19 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 20 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 21 Two days in Rome
- 22 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 23 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 24 PARIS
- 25 One free day in Barcelona
Need suggestions for stops between Swiss Alps and Amsterdam