I have done a bit of research, and have booked air (September 2015) into Zurich, first hotel will be in Murren for four nights. Not sure where to go from there - we depart from Amsterdam three weeks later.
We are a married couple who like:
-three or four night minimum in each place
-Rhine River (Bacharach?) is definitely on our list
-Bruges is also on the list
-we enjoy small towns, great eating, picnicing, wine, hiking, art in small doses, music (Strasbourg? Musical instrument museum in Brussels?), and recreational biking (we often rent a tandem bike); don't really plan on visiting the big cities other than Amsterdam. Not interested in war sites. We are independent travelers who often rent apartments instead of hotels.
Can you give me suggestions for 2-4 places in between the above stops?
We took our first trip to Europe last year (France and Italy), and thanks to wonderful help from fellow Fodorites, fell in love with Tuscany and the Loire Valley. Air France strike scored us two free roundtrips this year (imagine!) and so it was a tough decision NOT to return to Tuscany, but we don't know if we will ever get another chance to see Europe.
While researching France last trip, we were very tempted to travel the Alsace wine road in France. Would that be logical on this trip? Or is seeing the Rhine so similar that one would cancel out the other?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 2 Milos beach stay
- 3 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 4 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 5 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 6 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 7 Whistle stop family road trip
- 8 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 9 Tourist Perspective On Croatia
- 10 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 11 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 12 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 13 Appenzell in December?
- 14 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 15 Sao Vicente Hike on Madeira
- 16 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 17 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 18 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 19 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 22 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 23 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 24 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 25 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
Need suggestions for stops between Swiss Alps and Amsterdam