I have done a bit of research, and have booked air (September 2015) into Zurich, first hotel will be in Murren for four nights. Not sure where to go from there - we depart from Amsterdam three weeks later.
We are a married couple who like:
-three or four night minimum in each place
-Rhine River (Bacharach?) is definitely on our list
-Bruges is also on the list
-we enjoy small towns, great eating, picnicing, wine, hiking, art in small doses, music (Strasbourg? Musical instrument museum in Brussels?), and recreational biking (we often rent a tandem bike); don't really plan on visiting the big cities other than Amsterdam. Not interested in war sites. We are independent travelers who often rent apartments instead of hotels.
Can you give me suggestions for 2-4 places in between the above stops?
We took our first trip to Europe last year (France and Italy), and thanks to wonderful help from fellow Fodorites, fell in love with Tuscany and the Loire Valley. Air France strike scored us two free roundtrips this year (imagine!) and so it was a tough decision NOT to return to Tuscany, but we don't know if we will ever get another chance to see Europe.
While researching France last trip, we were very tempted to travel the Alsace wine road in France. Would that be logical on this trip? Or is seeing the Rhine so similar that one would cancel out the other?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 2 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 3 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 4 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 5 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 6 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 7 LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016
- 8 Train help for Prague
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 11 Germany train help!
- 12 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 13 Versailles
- 14 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 15 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 16 Petrol in Greece
- 17 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 18 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 19 Where to enjoy Paris
- 20 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 21 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 22 Meteora for older folk
- 23 Tours of Versailles, Lyon
- 24 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 25 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
Need suggestions for stops between Swiss Alps and Amsterdam