I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 2 Moscow Favorites
- 3 Italy with my Teen daughters
- 4 Couscous
- 5 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 6 Majorca 9 days - change hotels during trip?
- 7 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 8 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 9 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 10 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 11 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 12 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 13 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 14 Guided Vatican Tours
- 15 Liverpool, Cardiff & Salisbury - how would you do it?
- 16 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 17 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 18 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 19 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 20 Ibiiza Spain
- 21 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 22 Cartagena Spain
- 23 3 nights in Madrid
- 24 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 25 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK