I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 tipping
- 2 10 full days in Italy, creating an itinerary based on interests
- 3 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain
- 4 Eurail or Direct tickets?
- 5 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 6 ITINERARY-6 WEEKS
- 7 Help with our Provence Itinerary
- 8 CDG airport, 2 tickets
- 9 GPS vs Google Maps
- 10 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 11 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 12 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 13 Red hair Suze
- 14 East of the Amalfi Coast - stay or day trip?
- 15 Rome at Christmas
- 16 Luggage on trains/security?
- 17 Croatia Itenerary
- 18 day trip to hampton court
- 19 The DCC scam is spreading
- 20 Hotels in Galway, Ennis? Also Car Rental Suggestions Wanted
- 21 Amalfi vs Tuscany
- 22 London Paris
- 23 Norwegian air
- 24 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 25 Meteora/Kalambaka advice