I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Need help with Tuscany accommodations for parents!
- 1 Dordogne Canoe Ride - All wet!
- 2 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 3 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 4 Italian train question
- 5 Do and don't, eating in France
- 6 Travelling within Florence and to Siena
- 7 choosing between cinque terre & lake como
- 8 Getting the best our of Europe
- 9 Rome apartment
- 10 Albi-Carcassonne to St. Remy
- 11 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 12 Schnauzer, live from Paris, Lyon, Nice, Averyon and Dordogne, join me
- 13 Yet another train question......
- 14 Best area to stay in Rome
- 15 Moving to England at 16: Driving Laws?
- 16 london travelcrard
- 17 Versailles - guided tour or on our own????
- 18 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 19 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 20 Brutal Crack Down on Peaceful Environmental Protest
- 21 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 22 Rhine River Lights Fireworks
- 23 Hotel recommendations for Turin
- 24 Confirm these things before you book yourself at B&B accommodation.
- 25 Am I too fat too travel?