I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 2 help with Italy itinerary
- 3 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 4 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 5 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 6 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 7 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 8 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 9 Capri in July
- 10 Is there a Limit to time spent at Eiffel Tower
- 11 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 12 Amalfi Help: Logistics and Planning
- 13 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 14 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 15 Scotland and London 21 days
- 16 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 17 Helps!! 8days Switzerland ittinerary...
- 18 madrid-san sebastian-barcelona
- 19 A week in Verona - day trip suggestions?
- 20 Venice
- 21 A new species of Homo Sapien??
- 22 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 23 3 Weeks in Ireland - Itinerary help needed
- 24 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 25 Ireland last minute recommendations