I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 2 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 3 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 4 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 5 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 6 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 7 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 8 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 9 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 10 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 11 Scenic full day drive from Bacharach & return?
- 12 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 13 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 14 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 15 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 16 Le Marche, Italy
- 17 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 18 Ballet Bolshoi
- 19 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 20 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 21 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 22 Itinerary Help - 5 weeks Spain and Portugal Cities
- 23 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 24 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm
- 25 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily