I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 2 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 3 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 4 Hotel recommendation in Berchtesgaden
- 5 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 6 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como
- 7 First time in London...hotel for mother/daughter trip?
- 8 Ravello to Paestum
- 9 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 10 Two weeks in Puglia - Help with itinerary please
- 11 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 12 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 13 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 14 Spain Itinerary Help
- 15 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 16 Itinerary Help!
- 17 My 7 day Provence itinerary... workable?
- 18 Staying in or around Koblenz?
- 19 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 20 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 21 Berlin Hotel feedback
- 22 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 23 Celebrity Reflection Greek Island Cruise
- 24 italy itinerary
- 25 5 Days in Corsica