On May 23, we are flying to Paris, and then traveling to Compiegne for our daughter's wedding. Her fiance is French, and she just moved to Aix en Provence where she will be starting a new job. So on May 26, we are taking the train from Compiegne to Aix.(Already bought the tickets.) While my daughter is working, my husband, myself, and our younger daughter will have 5 full days (Monday to Friday) to sightsee in Aix and the surrounding area. Then we fly from Marseilles back to the U.S. on June 1. We plan on renting a car when we arrive in Aix, but I haven't rented the car yet. Will do that tomorrow.
My daughter is new to the area, & because she doesn't know how much time she will have for sightseeing before we arrive, I'd like some advice on which towns/village to see. We like just about everything: beautiful scenery, small cities & villages, the coast, lavender fields, wineries, museums, beautiful architecture, good food! I have been reading Frommers Provence & the Riviera. We want to spend our first day (Monday) sightseeing in Aix; then we would pick up our rental car in Aix on Tuesday, and have 4 full days for sightseeing. Keep in mind we have to be back in Aix in the evening, because we are staying with our daughter in her apartment. We might stay overnight for one night somewhere else, but haven't decided yet. Depends on money.
Our future SIL has suggested Nimes, Avignon, Cassis, the Calanques, and Nice. Based on my research so far, Avignon looks beautiful & a co-worker highly recommends it; Arles and St. Remy look nice, too. A day trip to the French Riviera (such as Nice) would be nice, too. Arles is 50 miles from Aix, so that is doable in one day.
How far is Avignon from Aix?
How far is Nice from Aix?
Are there any other towns I should consider?
Any towns I should delete from my list?
I know we can't see everything on this trip, and hopefully we will be back for more visits.
I appreciate any ideas/suggestions.
Need help with trip to Provence
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 2 Best area for apartment - attending conference Copenhagen
- 3 Euro quiz # 42 - Trains, Trains and Railways...
- 4 Dolce Far Niente....the sweetness of doing nothing (well almost) in Paris
- 5 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 6 Five weeks in Portugal - Does this route make sense?
- 7 Germany for 3 weeks
- 8 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 9 Madrid Airport - layover/immigration question
- 10 Transportation in Italy - rent a car or stick to trains?
- 11 Madrid - and where else in Spain in March?
- 12 England, Scotland and Ireland Self-guided Tours
- 13 WiFi on trains
- 14 Venice, airport hotel ?
- 15 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 16 Isle of Skye Lodging
- 17 What to do in Manchester for half a day?
- 18 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 19 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 20 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 21 Transfer at Paris (CDG) from terminal 2E and 2D by foot is possible?
- 22 Renting an apt.
- 23 A guide to Madrid
- 24 Amsterday > Bruges
- 25 CDG questions