after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Apartments (via airbnb) or Hotels / B&Bs in Italy
- 2 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 3 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 4 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 5 Look for Itinerary Advice- Athens, Spetses, Hydra, Naxos, Santorini
- 6 Budget for eating out in Italy, France and Berlin?
- 7 Southwestern England
- 8 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 9 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 10 Prague to Dubrovnik Itinerary Suggestions wanted
- 11 Drone video of the north of the Netherlands
- 12 lauterbrunnen lodging, down to 2 choices
- 13 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 14 Restaurants near Pantheon in Rome
- 15 Berlin: evening dining
- 16 bicycling garmisch oberammergau fussen
- 17 10-day Europe Trip (5-15June)
- 18 Immigration Procedures
- 19 In Paris on my own
- 20 taking kids to france for first time next summer-help!
- 21 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 22 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 23 Which disposable cell phone to buy in France?
- 24 Best Luggage for Cobblestone/Stairs
- 25 Buying Prado Museum tickets online