after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
- 1 Medieval castles dinner from Galway
- 2 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 3 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 4 Cell Phone for Italy travel
- 5 France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?
- 6 Train tickets
- 7 London on a sunny day
- 8 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 9 A chacun son goût
- 10 Italy-Locarno or Stresa
- 11 Lake Thun/ Lake Brienz in October
- 12 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 13 Train from Civitavecchia port to Rome
- 14 Train from Dresden to Nueburg DO in July
- 15 Daytrip from Waterford to Kilkenny
- 16 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 17 Savona - San Remo - where to spend the night?
- 18 portugal
- 19 12 days, 3 couples, one week in London Sept 2013
- 20 I Need To Vent!
- 21 6.5 hour layover in Lisbon, Portugal
- 22 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 23 Zurich to Montreux to Paris round trip - drive or train??
- 24 Venice experts--the apartment in Castello or the one in Canareggio
- 25 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm