after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6 nights in Portugal? Suggestions?
- 2 My Trip Report to Turkey & Greece
- 3 My Trip Report to Turkey & Greece
- 4 Douro Valley: 9 Hours On The Train?
- 5 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 6 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 7 RailPass England / Scotland?
- 8 Trying to figure out the Copenhagen metro
- 9 Looking for a good not-too-pricey restaurant in Copenhagen.
- 10 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 11 Car rental in Croatia
- 12 Verona & Venice summer fashion
- 13 One day in Paris!
- 14 For anyone still trying to visit the McQueen, Round the clock opening . . .
- 15 A plethora of islands
- 16 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 17 Places to eat in Rome and Venice by train stations???
- 18 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 19 Lake Garda itinerary
- 20 Winery tours
- 21 Rome Walking Guide
- 22 Amsterdam & Paris in peak season
- 23 air conditioning
- 24 Munich to Milan via train
- 25 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?