after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 2 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 3 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 4 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 5 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 6 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 7 Hotel in Venice
- 8 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 9 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 10 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 11 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 12 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 13 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 14 Europe in 21 days
- 15 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 16 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 17 Question re. ToT Montserrat Ticket for day trip
- 18 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 19 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 20 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 21 Spain Questions
- 22 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 23 Avignon to London?
- 24 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 25 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us