after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Innsbruck or Interlaken/Jungfrau for winter activities in May
- 2 Train from Barcelona-Saints to Estacio de Franca
- 3 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 4 Student with no visa: Will I be denied re-entry into Germany???
- 5 Monet's Giverny
- 6 wedding abroad
- 7 2 Weeks in Spain for a wedding in Leon.
- 8 ferry messina to reggio calabria
- 9 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 10 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 4 First Evening in Vienna
- 11 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 12 Three weeks in Italy with a two-year old
- 13 Paris or Rome in March or possibly September/October
- 14 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 15 Cookware in France
- 16 Vespa Tour - Florence
- 17 apartment
- 18 Biking from The Hague to Rotterdam
- 19 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 20 Vaucluse Lavander
- 21 Recommended drivers for Tuscany
- 22 Tuscany-private driver for hire?
- 23 Pilgrim Churches of the Llyn Peninsula
- 24 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 25 English language info/site for Belgium bus services