after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tech challenged: US car charger for IPHONE work in France and Italy
- 2 Favorite European cemeteries?
- 3 Cotswold for 3days
- 4 Paris, Salou & Barcelona
- 5 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 6 January Amalfi Coast
- 7 iPHone 6 use in Paris, with ATT?
- 8 Our Next Europe Trip
- 9 12 days in Italy
- 10 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 11 Vienna to Salzburg Please Help
- 12 How to rent a car...
- 13 Looking for music in Istanbul
- 14 Tour du Mount Blanc
- 15 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 16 Itinerary tips for first timers
- 17 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 18 Trip Report Paris, Avignon, Lyon, Turin, Genoa, Reggio Emilia, Venice 2014
- 19 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 20 Small-group day tours from London?
- 21 Did I make a mistake arriving Venice on a holiday (Nov 1)?
- 22 Going to Montmartre from Gare du Nord totally off the beaten track
- 23 Malaga and the lost wallet
- 24 Paris Austerlitz to CDG on a weekday morning
- 25 Segovia Hotel