after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 EU Citizenship & the Schengen Visa
- 2 Geiranger - Trollstigen
- 3 NYE Paris
- 4 Ostia Antica or Borghese Gallery?
- 5 Thinking of moving to Austria
- 6 Paris CDG airport ATM service,
- 7 Cars in France
- 8 Driving to Larrun (La Rhune) Spain
- 9 All French taxis now obliged to accept cards
- 10 London, England, alone or with a tour group?
- 11 Christmas in Spain
- 12 Rome/Florence
- 13 Bahn sales
- 14 Cost comparison b/w Paris and Switzerland(wengen)
- 15 Venturing even further
- 16 Southern Italy for our Honeymoon- Help with the itinerary!
- 17 Reims Champagne Houses
- 18 Roma Pass question on Borghese reservation
- 19 Experience with Budweis Shuttle
- 20 Tourist photo in Germany in traditional costumes
- 21 Italy - Rome, Venice, and Florence
- 22 London: Xmas Break Trip - One Week Itinerary
- 23 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 24 London Open House Weekend and Moreton in Marsh
- 25 First European Vacation )