after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 2 Advice required on my Switzerland Itinerary
- 3 First Europe trip - France, Italy & Greece
- 4 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 5 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 6 Potential trip - Balkans
- 7 Greece after the Vote
- 8 Is this realistic... advice?
- 9 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 10 rail pass
- 11 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 12 Satnav maps update
- 13 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 14 One day in Paris, Looking for a great Full day tour.
- 15 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 16 GuideAdvisor, beware!!
- 17 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 18 France to Italy advice needed please
- 19 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 20 What else for kids to see/do near Guedelon?
- 21 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 22 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 23 Spanish Music
- 24 Bavaria and Tirol for 2 weeks in June
- 25 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)