after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
- 1 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 2 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?
- 3 Need info on smoking in Dijon area
- 4 Lucerne & Zurich
- 5 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 6 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 7 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 8 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 9 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 10 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 11 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 12 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 13 Place to propose
- 14 Euro Train
- 15 Car in Prague
- 16 France and Spain Travel Itinerary
- 17 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 18 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 19 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 20 Spain - Andalucia
- 21 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 22 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 23 Prague - must see
- 24 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 25 Three for the road