after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Germany for 3 weeks
- 2 Question about arriving and spending the day in Naples
- 3 Dublin Layover Suggestions
- 4 GPS in France
- 5 Family of 4 traveling 10 months
- 6 Venice Airport: How Long to Get Through Passport Clearance
- 7 Car Rental Pickup -- Dubrovnik / Split City Center or Airport Locations?
- 8 In Less Than 48 Hours, Chisinau and Transnistria
- 9 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 10 Provence planning
- 11 Seotember Trip to Greece- 2015
- 12 Ireland Trip in Spring
- 13 England, Paris itinerary help
- 14 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 15 Bavarian Accommodations - Need Your Assistance
- 16 I went to Paris in June
- 17 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 18 Shipping bags home
- 19 Narrowing down our itinerary...Paris-Venice-Rome
- 20 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 21 small group tours of turkey and greece
- 22 Italy in late June - 10 days. Should we do Rome, Florence AND Venice?
- 23 Paris to Bordeaux TGV
- 24 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 25 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?