after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Need help with Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anyone familiar with these Ile St. Louis apartments?
- 2 Barcelona at night? Single female...
- 3 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 4 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 5 Day Trips from Nice
- 6 Siena Favorites?
- 7 Spain Rental Car Logistics - Barcelona Train Station
- 8 biking in France
- 9 using airbnb for the first time...
- 10 Help - road trip from Munich to Bruges
- 11 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 12 Marche Bastille - Oct Hours and Meet up Location?
- 13 Naples to Paris to Barcelona in November
- 14 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 15 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 16 Help with France itinerary
- 17 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 18 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 19 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 20 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 21 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 22 South of France - recommendations please!
- 23 Leaving for Paris in three weeks, what are the must "book ahead" sights?
- 24 Add a day to Madrid or Barcelona??
- 25 Sienna at night