after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 2 Barcelona
- 3 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 4 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 5 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 8 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 9 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 10 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 11 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 12 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 13 First time in London
- 14 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 15 Greek fuel cost
- 16 VRBO South Kensington
- 17 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 18 Vacation
- 19 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 20 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 21 Menaggio/Varenna to St Moritz and back
- 22 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 23 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 24 Italian Honeymoon - But How!?!?
- 25 Villas to rent in Ibiza