after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The suitcases ar going to Provence
- 2 The Best beach in Europe
- 3 Northern England /Scotland in 16 days
- 4 Locations of apartment in Seville
- 5 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 6 Barcelona San Pau Apartment
- 7 How much money for 2 weeks in ITALY
- 8 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?
- 9 Driving through French Alps to Italy
- 10 Help? Berlin (or Prague) dentist
- 11 Livorno shore excursion 3 choices ?
- 12 Time to go through customs London, Stansted
- 13 7 day Itinerary Input Please - Switzerland
- 14 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 15 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 16 Pre-booking colosseum tour tickets - help needed
- 17 Northern Spain
- 18 Free walking tours in Budapest and Prague
- 19 Favorite eateries in the Balkan States
- 20 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 21 The Best of Paris Oct 12 -18th 2015
- 22 explore Italy on a budget
- 23 Itenerary Opinion
- 24 Transportation
- 25 Madrid to Paris by car in January 2016