after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 2 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 3 Rue des Rosiers
- 4 Paris, France
- 5 Suggestions for base in the Var
- 6 sfo to europe
- 7 Help with final 6 days of Norway itinerary
- 8 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 9 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 10 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 11 Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?
- 12 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 13 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 14 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 15 Help with Scotland itinerary
- 16 Take your time to see San Gimignano
- 17 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 18 Italy museum tickets
- 19 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 20 What one thing in Paris?
- 21 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 22 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 23 Honeymoon in Greece & Norway April/May 2016
- 24 Help with air/train logistics in U.K.!
- 25 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve