after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 2 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 3 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 4 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 5 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 6 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 7 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 8 9 days in London
- 9 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 10 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 11 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 12 Lyon
- 13 Self drive tour companies
- 14 Italian lakes
- 15 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 16 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 17 What do after Bernia Express?
- 18 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 19 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 20 France, UK and Ireland
- 21 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 22 French theater in Paris
- 23 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 24 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 25 Germany family road trip help!