after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 2 Local Paris Restaurants?
- 3 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 4 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 5 Trip Report: Christmas in Paris with 9- and 10-year-old kids
- 6 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 7 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 8 Recommendations needed for rentals in the Tuscan countryside
- 9 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 10 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 11 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 12 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 13 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 14 Late August Trip to Northern Italy
- 15 What to see in Dresden...
- 16 Tour or independent
- 17 Munich, Germany
- 18 Iceland for 11 days in March
- 19 Sliema, Malta
- 20 Vet my itinerary
- 21 Hotel advice
- 22 church / cathedral (organ/classic music) concerts in Granada/Seville ?
- 23 Your Thoughts on the Black Forest, please --
- 24 Looking for advice about 2 week solo trip to Italy
- 25 Looking for advice on a Paris-based day trip to Reims