We are planning a trip this August ( I know, it's right around the corner), my first European trip, along with my husband and 2 kids (11 and 7).
We plan to spend 4-5 nights in Paris, and then another 4-5 nights in Switzerland.
Our plan is as follows:
Fly into Paris. In Paris, we plan to rent an apartment. Reading through some great input by other Fodorites, it sounds like (for first timers) the 6th is the best area, followed by the 7th and 5th. I've looked through some listings on VRBO, but would appreciate some feedback from you guys on the location before I start contacting owners.
From Paris, we can take the train to Geneva, and then rent a car. My husband has been to Switzerland before and thinks that driving provides a lot of flexibility in stopping by quaint Swiss towns, and moving around in general. Would love to get your feedback on car vs. train.
From Geneva, we can drive to the BO. Again we would love to rent an apartment, but I have not found much information for renting in this area. We plan to have a base and move around from there. I have seen hotel suggestions for Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald. From what I've read, Grindelwald is more livelier than Murren or Wengen. Would love some suggestions for a base location here and rental apartments. Spend 3-4 nights in BO (we may take a day trip to Lucerne, if that's possible), and then drive to Zurich (spend a night there), before taking a flight back home.
Does this sound like a good start? I think creating this shell is the most important, and figuring out things to do and places to go is the easier part.
Would love to hear your feedback. Do let me know if I can provide any additional information for you to help me better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 2 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 3 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 4 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 5 Milos beach stay
- 6 Catching the train - best stop off from Tirano to St Moritz
- 7 SPAIN, FRANCE, ITALY, SWITZERLAND
- 8 Driving in Wales
- 9 Best train from Amsterdam to Paris via Germany
- 10 Christmas Markets 2017
- 11 PRAGUE-TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
- 12 Traveling in Belgium
- 13 SURPRISE TRIP
- 14 Need advice. To Drive or not in Poland
- 15 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 16 Suggestions for fall trip to Brittany
- 17 One day around Lake Brienz
- 18 Bayeux Restaurants
- 19 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 20 Booking.com trustworthy?
- 21 Best Viking Sites
- 22 Language to use in Belgium
- 23 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 24 Euro road trip – looking for advice please
- 25 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
Need help with Paris & Switzerland trip in August (~10 days)