We are planning a trip this August ( I know, it's right around the corner), my first European trip, along with my husband and 2 kids (11 and 7).
We plan to spend 4-5 nights in Paris, and then another 4-5 nights in Switzerland.
Our plan is as follows:
Fly into Paris. In Paris, we plan to rent an apartment. Reading through some great input by other Fodorites, it sounds like (for first timers) the 6th is the best area, followed by the 7th and 5th. I've looked through some listings on VRBO, but would appreciate some feedback from you guys on the location before I start contacting owners.
From Paris, we can take the train to Geneva, and then rent a car. My husband has been to Switzerland before and thinks that driving provides a lot of flexibility in stopping by quaint Swiss towns, and moving around in general. Would love to get your feedback on car vs. train.
From Geneva, we can drive to the BO. Again we would love to rent an apartment, but I have not found much information for renting in this area. We plan to have a base and move around from there. I have seen hotel suggestions for Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald. From what I've read, Grindelwald is more livelier than Murren or Wengen. Would love some suggestions for a base location here and rental apartments. Spend 3-4 nights in BO (we may take a day trip to Lucerne, if that's possible), and then drive to Zurich (spend a night there), before taking a flight back home.
Does this sound like a good start? I think creating this shell is the most important, and figuring out things to do and places to go is the easier part.
Would love to hear your feedback. Do let me know if I can provide any additional information for you to help me better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 https://goldenhealthcenters.com/skin-contour-cream/
- 2 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 3 Europe First Timers
- 4 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 5 Athens Help
- 6 Safety in Rome
- 7 Uber vs. TfL
- 8 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 9 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 10 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 11 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 12 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 13 Apartment Montreux area
- 14 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 15 Crete Holiday
- 16 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 17 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 18 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 19 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 20 Greek Village
- 21 One free day in Barcelona
- 22 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 23 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 24 base in brussels
- 25 Rome or Venice first
Need help with Paris & Switzerland trip in August (~10 days)