I am planning a trip for my family of 4, starting in Stuttgart Germany for 2 nights, driving to Hohenzollern castle, then to Strasbourg France for 2 nights, possibly Colmar or Basel for a night, then to Lucerne for 2 nights and finally Zurich to fly home. I thought we would rent a car thinking the drive would be beautiful, but now I am getting nervous and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew... because we are not savvy with driving in foreign lands. I have read that we will need stickers for the car in Switzerland, international drivers license, and having a car in the smaller towns with no parking can be a pain. Also, the extra car insurance adds a big expense and I don't know if I would need that.
Should I rent the car for half the trip and drop it somewhere along the way and travel by trains in Switzerland? If so, where would you recommend the most convienient place to do this along my route? Lastly, if you think I'm crazy and this trip is too much driving please let me know before I book my air!! Driving distances according to Google maps doesn't look too bad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help on ancient history route
- 2 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 3 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 4 Edinbrugh
- 5 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 6 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 7 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 8 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 9 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 10 Berlin to ?
- 11 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 12 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 13 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 14 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 15 Maximizing Norway time
- 16 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 17 Hotels in Turin
- 18 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 19 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 20 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 21 3 days solo in London
- 22 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 23 Fodors's Slow to Load Lately?
- 24 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 25 Scotland
Need Help with Driving Tips and Car rental Germany into Switzerland