I am planning a trip for my family of 4, starting in Stuttgart Germany for 2 nights, driving to Hohenzollern castle, then to Strasbourg France for 2 nights, possibly Colmar or Basel for a night, then to Lucerne for 2 nights and finally Zurich to fly home. I thought we would rent a car thinking the drive would be beautiful, but now I am getting nervous and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew... because we are not savvy with driving in foreign lands. I have read that we will need stickers for the car in Switzerland, international drivers license, and having a car in the smaller towns with no parking can be a pain. Also, the extra car insurance adds a big expense and I don't know if I would need that.
Should I rent the car for half the trip and drop it somewhere along the way and travel by trains in Switzerland? If so, where would you recommend the most convienient place to do this along my route? Lastly, if you think I'm crazy and this trip is too much driving please let me know before I book my air!! Driving distances according to Google maps doesn't look too bad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Short Trip in July
- 2 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 3 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 4 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 5 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 6 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 7 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 8 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 9 First trip to England & Ireland-9 days in August
- 10 current best wisdom on taxis from CDG to 17eme
- 11 Cell Phone Question
- 12 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 13 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 14 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 15 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 18 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 19 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 20 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 21 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 22 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK
- 23 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 24 What tips can you give about packing?
- 25 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
Need Help with Driving Tips and Car rental Germany into Switzerland