I am planning a trip for my family of 4, starting in Stuttgart Germany for 2 nights, driving to Hohenzollern castle, then to Strasbourg France for 2 nights, possibly Colmar or Basel for a night, then to Lucerne for 2 nights and finally Zurich to fly home. I thought we would rent a car thinking the drive would be beautiful, but now I am getting nervous and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew... because we are not savvy with driving in foreign lands. I have read that we will need stickers for the car in Switzerland, international drivers license, and having a car in the smaller towns with no parking can be a pain. Also, the extra car insurance adds a big expense and I don't know if I would need that.
Should I rent the car for half the trip and drop it somewhere along the way and travel by trains in Switzerland? If so, where would you recommend the most convienient place to do this along my route? Lastly, if you think I'm crazy and this trip is too much driving please let me know before I book my air!! Driving distances according to Google maps doesn't look too bad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 2 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 3 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 4 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 5 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 6 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 7 A few more questions about Brittany
- 8 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 9 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 10 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 11 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 12 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 13 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 14 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 15 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 16 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 17 4 days each in London and Paris
- 18 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 19 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 20 Switzerland in September
- 21 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 22 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 23 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 24 Positano or Sorrento?
- 25 Paris in November
Need Help with Driving Tips and Car rental Germany into Switzerland