I am planning a trip for my family of 4, starting in Stuttgart Germany for 2 nights, driving to Hohenzollern castle, then to Strasbourg France for 2 nights, possibly Colmar or Basel for a night, then to Lucerne for 2 nights and finally Zurich to fly home. I thought we would rent a car thinking the drive would be beautiful, but now I am getting nervous and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew... because we are not savvy with driving in foreign lands. I have read that we will need stickers for the car in Switzerland, international drivers license, and having a car in the smaller towns with no parking can be a pain. Also, the extra car insurance adds a big expense and I don't know if I would need that.
Should I rent the car for half the trip and drop it somewhere along the way and travel by trains in Switzerland? If so, where would you recommend the most convienient place to do this along my route? Lastly, if you think I'm crazy and this trip is too much driving please let me know before I book my air!! Driving distances according to Google maps doesn't look too bad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip suggestion
- 2 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 3 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 4 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 5 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 6 Dijon in December!
- 7 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 8 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 9 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 10 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 11 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 12 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 13 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 14 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 15 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 16 Summer Travel order
- 17 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 18 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 19 Swiss Travel Pass
- 20 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 21 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 22 Another tipping question: concierges
- 23 24 hours in Zurich
- 24 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 25 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
Need Help with Driving Tips and Car rental Germany into Switzerland