We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Need help planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Company in Russia
- 2 Two Days in Prague
- 3 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 4 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 5 Giverny in early October?
- 6 Air France strike
- 7 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro
- 8 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 9 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 10 Interested In Coach Passes
- 11 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 12 Voltage in UK and France
- 13 Help with Amsterdam for Christmas and Paris for New Year’s
- 14 How many nights in Vienna vs. Salzburg?
- 15 Nuit Blanche 2014
- 16 Schengen Visa
- 17 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 18 Alterations to night trains routes
- 19 Paris GTG 10/1-10/8?
- 20 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 21 london in 2.5 days
- 22 Belgium, Germany, Netherlands
- 23 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 24 Concert at St. Chapelle question
- 25 London GTG late September?