We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 2 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 3 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 4 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 5 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 6 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 7 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 8 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 9 Christmas Markets 2017
- 10 Language to use in Belgium
- 11 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 12 Istanbul at Easter
- 13 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 14 Palermo Apartment
- 15 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 16 SURPRISE TRIP
- 17 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 18 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 19 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 20 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 21 Barcelona - places to stay
- 22 Fado in Lisbon
- 23 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 24 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 25 Help with Italy Itinerary