We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stop along the way
- 2 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 3 spanish winery region(s)
- 4 One week trip in early May in the fjords region in Norway
- 5 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 6 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 7 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 8 Paris transportation from CDG term 2 to La Defense
- 9 North Carolinians Take Warning
- 10 December in Deutschland
- 11 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 12 Four people, three countries, two weeks
- 13 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 14 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 15 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 16 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 17 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 18 Two weeks in France
- 19 Best places for 21 day family vacay w/ 5 year old?
- 20 Best International Sim Card
- 21 Just beginning to plan trip to Croatia
- 22 Help/Advice From Irish Locals and Experts
- 23 Me, myself and Dordogne – 2 weeks in the Beautiful French Countryside
- 24 Relaxing destinations?
- 25 8 day outdoorsy Itinerary Help (Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland)