We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain and around that for 2 weeks
- 2 Italy, Spain and France
- 3 Round trip to Bergen question
- 4 Advice needed for Greece/Italy trip
- 5 Email access constantly blocked on international travels
- 6 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 7 Romantic Honeymoon Ideas for Jan end/early Feb 2016 please!
- 8 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 9 My summer in Paris
- 10 London and Italy (Rome and Milan) trip report
- 11 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 12 November in Vienna and ??? : Questions
- 13 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 14 Iceland 2 week trip itinerary/report
- 15 Trip Report: Sailing in Croatia, with a Stop at Wimbledon
- 16 Looking to avoid big events on trip to Amsterdam, Lucerne, Salz. and Prague
- 17 Barcelona October 2015
- 18 Rhine / Mosel Rivers in Germany and Beyond
- 19 Where was this photo taken?
- 20 This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento
- 21 Newbie - seeking any advice
- 22 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 23 Basque Region and Rioja in December
- 24 Help with Honeymoon trip Italy
- 25 Restaurant recommendation in Lisbon