We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 2 European Cooking Secrets
- 3 Beginner travelers on a budget to Marseille
- 4 Northern Italy 1 week HELP
- 5 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 6 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 7 March in Amsterdam 1 week spring break
- 8 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 9 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 10 Rome, Florence and a cruise this fall
- 11 My 60th birthday surprises
- 12 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 13 Help with first time trip with family
- 14 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 15 Tuscany or Cinque Terre?
- 16 Verona or Athens?
- 17 Rome 1st Time - Wish you'd known, tips, unexpected surprises
- 18 Spain car rental questions
- 19 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 20 Basque country ideas
- 21 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 22 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 travelling to Munich and Paris without pre hotel booking
- 25 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016