We've been to Ireland 12 long years ago. We loved what we were able to do then, but this time we want to drive ourselves for the most part.
We have tickets to fly in and out of Dublin. We are going 30 March through 17 April. We will spend the first four (or so) days of arrival in Dublin, seeing some things we saw before (Trinity) some things we didn't, and taking the DART to the seaside towns (haven't decided on which one). Maybe another day trip to Wicklow?
We'll then take the train to Cork and pick up a car there. We are hoping to book through homeaway or another type of service like that, to have a self catering set up. Stay in the Cork area for four days??? Is a day trip from there to Dingle realistic? We'll not be doing Blarney, nor the Ring of Kerry as those were done before (well, I didn't do Blarney, and I have no intention of doing it now!) and we don't really want to repeat too much from before.
We'd like to drive along the Wild Atlantic Way, heading north. Stopping and staying in Galway? Maybe Doolin as we can do a Cliffs of Moher walk? We'd thought of visiting the Aran Islands (well, one) and wondered about seeing the Cliffs of Moher from a place other than the toursity bit? Is there a ferry to an island that would provide that experience, or some other recommendation?
We'd like to get as far north as Sligo, and return the car there (yes, I know that's more costly than returning it to Cork). Then, take a train to Dublin, where we'd then take a train to Belfast and do a little tour (shudder, but we really don't want to miss the Giants Causeway) to the GC. There is an overnight tour that provides for a hotel in Belfast. Then, back to Dublin and fly home.
What we are having problems with is understanding how long we should stay in one place. I know that some of those self catering places require minimum nights for stays, so that is part of it.
So, please? Your thoughts, your expert recommendations, your help!!!
Thank you! KD
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Santorini lodging
- 2 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 3 What do after Bernia Express?
- 4 Where to buy things outside of Munich
- 5 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 6 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 7 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 8 Self drive tour companies
- 9 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 10 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 11 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 12 Ischia
- 13 9 days in London
- 14 Germany family road trip help!
- 15 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 16 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 17 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 18 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 19 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 20 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 21 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 22 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 23 Lyon
- 24 Italian lakes
- 25 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail