We've been to Ireland 12 long years ago. We loved what we were able to do then, but this time we want to drive ourselves for the most part.
We have tickets to fly in and out of Dublin. We are going 30 March through 17 April. We will spend the first four (or so) days of arrival in Dublin, seeing some things we saw before (Trinity) some things we didn't, and taking the DART to the seaside towns (haven't decided on which one). Maybe another day trip to Wicklow?
We'll then take the train to Cork and pick up a car there. We are hoping to book through homeaway or another type of service like that, to have a self catering set up. Stay in the Cork area for four days??? Is a day trip from there to Dingle realistic? We'll not be doing Blarney, nor the Ring of Kerry as those were done before (well, I didn't do Blarney, and I have no intention of doing it now!) and we don't really want to repeat too much from before.
We'd like to drive along the Wild Atlantic Way, heading north. Stopping and staying in Galway? Maybe Doolin as we can do a Cliffs of Moher walk? We'd thought of visiting the Aran Islands (well, one) and wondered about seeing the Cliffs of Moher from a place other than the toursity bit? Is there a ferry to an island that would provide that experience, or some other recommendation?
We'd like to get as far north as Sligo, and return the car there (yes, I know that's more costly than returning it to Cork). Then, take a train to Dublin, where we'd then take a train to Belfast and do a little tour (shudder, but we really don't want to miss the Giants Causeway) to the GC. There is an overnight tour that provides for a hotel in Belfast. Then, back to Dublin and fly home.
What we are having problems with is understanding how long we should stay in one place. I know that some of those self catering places require minimum nights for stays, so that is part of it.
So, please? Your thoughts, your expert recommendations, your help!!!
Thank you! KD
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam
- 2 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 3 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 4 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 5 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 6 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 9 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 10 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 11 8 Days in Spain
- 12 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 13 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 14 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 15 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 16 Scenic cruise advice
- 17 Barcelona alternative
- 18 Italy Car Scam
- 19 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 20 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 God Save the Queen?
- 23 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 24 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 25 Train from Polgate to St Pancras