So I am planning on a trip in the end of July with my mom and me. We both have birthdays in the last week of July, so this is my treat to her! On a side (and important) note, I have to be in Cambridge, England for 2 weeks for a music festival after my vacation.
I am having a really hard time deciding whether I want to go to Lisbon, Munich/Salzburg, or Paris (I have never been to any of them). This is comparing oranges to apples, but here are my interests for this vacation: relaxation, baroque/rococo churches (my mom loves them), cityscape, fun time, not a lot of tourists (not this time), good food (esp. sweets), good weather, and relatively not too expensive.
LisbonPros) I've read so much about this city, and it truly fascinates me. It looks like San Francisco but with even more history, so the cityscape is a plus for Lisbon! I think the weather will be good, the Pombaline architecture will be interesting, and the Mediterranean ambience and lifestyle is a plus for me. I speak Italian, but I do not know if that will help me in Lisbon. I've also heard that it's not very expensive to eat/live there. Not too touristy.
(Cons): far away from Cambridge...must take airplane to get there.
(Q): How do the churches in Lisbon compare to Paris or Salzburg/Munich?
Salzburg/Munich (Pros): The baroque churches/monasteries here look really amazing, I've seen photos and researched their histories. English is spoken nearly everywhere. Weather won't be too hot. Salzburg's cityscape looks beautiful in pictures. Not too touristy?
(Cons): Not really interested in German history, though Salzburg is really interesting for me since I am a classical musician (However, I am not looking for some touristy Mozart thing, I just want to check out the place where he was raised up). And it's far away from Cambridge + I think it's expensive to get there.
(Q): How is the food (esp. sweets) there? Is it a relaxing place to go for our birthdays? How is the architecture there in terms of its uniqueness and artistry?
Paris (Pros): It's Paris! History fascinates me. The art will be amazing. I'm sure there are great baroque churches there, although from my research, I get a sense that Paris is very gothic-heavy. Still, I am sure my mom would love beautiful stained glass/rose windows with flying buttresses and exotic heights. It is closer to Cambridge which means that I can take a train via London to Cambridge. The cityscape looks beautiful, though, I am not sure if it's as appealing to me as Lisbon (the huge bay!). The Food!
(Cons): Too much art will probably not be relaxing, probably too expensive to live and eat. There will be too much tourists, and I feel bad for not taking my dad with us if we go to Paris, since he's always wanted to go, and I think it's unfair that we get to experience Paris first.
(Q): Do the tourists interfere with the sense that you have Paris to yourself?
Need help in deciding!! Trip in end of July
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece Italy and Turkey
- 2 Last few days in Italy -- North of Tuscany -- ideas?
- 3 ATM nonsense: be prepared
- 4 Three Centre Holiday, Italy
- 5 Signal strength of T-Mobile phones in UK, Denmark, & Sweden
- 6 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 7 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 8 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 9 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 10 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 11 A drive in Europe
- 12 TGV from Paris (or Orleans) to Barcelona
- 13 car rental info
- 14 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 15 Rail tickets
- 16 bath or york
- 17 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 18 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 19 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 20 Hotel room/Aptartment Recommendation for 5 in Paris
- 21 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 22 Hotel in Venice
- 23 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 24 Visiting the UK (2 Weeks, need help)
- 25 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time