My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Athens Help
- 2 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 3 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 4 London vacation rental agency
- 5 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 6 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 7 Trains in Italy
- 8 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 9 Borghese Gallery Question
- 10 Sim Card
- 11 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 12 Airline to Rome
- 13 Finland around Christmas time?
- 14 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 15 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 16 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 17 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 18 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 19 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 20 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 21 Transport for local Venice travel
- 22 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 23 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 24 SE ITALY
- 25 London and Paris - 3 days each