My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 credit and debit cards
- 2 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 3 Where to stay in Umbria
- 4 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 5 2 weeks from southern italy
- 6 Mosel & Ahr wine tasting visit for 4 nights
- 7 ENGLAND-SCTOLAND-FRANCE-need help travelling solo
- 8 First Trip to Ireland
- 9 Dalmation coast in October?
- 10 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 11 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 12 Confused on which train pass
- 13 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 14 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 15 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 16 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 17 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 18 Best of Norway
- 19 Bus Strike
- 20 Train up the Jungfrau
- 21 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 22 Where to stay in Sorrento/Positano area with family of 5?
- 23 travel around Spain
- 24 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 25 App for restaurants/pubs in the the UK?