My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 US : HP Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482 :3831 HP PRINTER 24*7
- 2 alcazar question and seville advice
- 3 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 4 London Hotel - Different Request
- 5 London 6 day itinerary
- 6 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 7 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 8 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 9 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 10 Iceland trip report!
- 11 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 12 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 13 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 14 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 15 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 16 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 17 Seville to Cordoba
- 18 3 nights in Madrid
- 19 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 20 What route for Reykjanes Peninsula?
- 21 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 22 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 23 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 24 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 25 Trip to Switzerland