My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 2 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 3 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 4 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 5 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 6 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 7 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 8 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 9 Ireland in April
- 10 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 11 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 12 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 13 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 14 fhg hge hger
- 15 Iranian guide driver (Alians)
- 16 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 17 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 18 바카라5678✄™∑Ю AGS98.zz.am Ю∑™✄¯월드카지노¯の바카라5678
- 19 공항바카라⌘™∑Ю AGS98.zz.am Ю∑™⌘¯월드카지노
- 20 바카라전략☁™∑Ю AGS98.zz.am Ю∑™☁¯월드카지노¯の바카라전략
- 21 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 22 바카라1번지✪™∑Ю AGS98.zz.am Ю∑™✪¯월드카지노¯の바카라1번지
- 23 실제바카라♛™∑Ю AGS98.zz.am Ю∑™♛¯월드카지노¯の실제바카라
- 24 If you had to choose one......
- 25 getting to CDG