My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 2 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 3 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 4 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 5 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 6 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 7 Getting around London
- 8 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 9 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 10 Andalucia Spain
- 11 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 12 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 13 Vigo Spain????
- 14 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 15 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 16 Paris in August
- 17 SURPRISE TRIP
- 18 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 19 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 22 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 23 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 24 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 25 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain