We're two seniors, mid 70's and 80's, who love to travel. We have 30 days in Italy, most of it already booked, but don't know where to go or start in Tuscany and Sorrento. We are not driving, we'd be a hazard to the roads, so need advice on places where we can use public transportation/or take tours. We'll be in Italy Oct 7, 2014.
Here's what we have so far:
Milan 2 nights
Varenna 5 nights
Castel Rotto 2 nights
Venice 5 nights
Florence 3 nights
Here's where I need help - 7 nights Tuscany and Sorrento
Rome 6 nights
Where would be a good place to start from Florence by train/bus? I thought Siena might have a lot of day tours, folks here say it's a big city. Is Orvieto a nicer place to use as a base? We would like to spend a night or two in Orvieto and see a few scenic hillside towns . There are so many to choose from, but getting around without a car is the problem. I would like to visit Sorrento or Positano for a couple days also, then take a train (which one?) to Rome. We're budget travelers and would appreciate suggestions for where to stay at reasonable rates.
Thanks for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 2 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 3 Threat Level in UK
- 4 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 5 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 6 3 nights in Madrid
- 7 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 8 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 9 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 10 S. Kensington London Restaurants
- 11 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 12 Graz in January
- 13 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 14 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 15 Itinery help Crete
- 16 London Hotel - Different Request
- 17 Iceland trip report!
- 18 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 19 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 20 Sun loungers and parasols
- 21 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 22 Malaga Spain
- 23 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 24 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 25 Help with Scotland Itinerary