We're two seniors, mid 70's and 80's, who love to travel. We have 30 days in Italy, most of it already booked, but don't know where to go or start in Tuscany and Sorrento. We are not driving, we'd be a hazard to the roads, so need advice on places where we can use public transportation/or take tours. We'll be in Italy Oct 7, 2014.
Here's what we have so far:
Milan 2 nights
Varenna 5 nights
Castel Rotto 2 nights
Venice 5 nights
Florence 3 nights
Here's where I need help - 7 nights Tuscany and Sorrento
Rome 6 nights
Where would be a good place to start from Florence by train/bus? I thought Siena might have a lot of day tours, folks here say it's a big city. Is Orvieto a nicer place to use as a base? We would like to spend a night or two in Orvieto and see a few scenic hillside towns . There are so many to choose from, but getting around without a car is the problem. I would like to visit Sorrento or Positano for a couple days also, then take a train (which one?) to Rome. We're budget travelers and would appreciate suggestions for where to stay at reasonable rates.
Thanks for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland
- 2 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 3 Visiting Zurich
- 4 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 5 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 6 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 7 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 8 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 9 Paris to Bordeaux
- 10 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 11 Iceland 3 day layover
- 12 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 13 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 14 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 15 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 16 Train travel
- 17 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 18 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 19 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 20 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 21 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 22 DVD burning software
- 23 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 24 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 25 Fabric Shops in Paris