Excuse me if this topic appears out of context or place, but past few weeks I have been watching the Scam City series in Nat Geo.
It’s available here also : http://natgeotv.com/asia/scam-city
The series covers some of the famous tourist destinations all over the world and the tourist scams/ tourist traps. It’s good to watch it if you are visiting any of the cities. but in general it will make you a more alert traveler.
The last episode was about Istakmil street in Istanbul, Turkey and how you can get tricked by a total stranger to share a drink in a local pub and end up paying a minimum of $1000 ( yes $1K ) for a couple of beers.
I have seen episodes of Prague, Buenos Aires, Marrakech ( famous old carpet scam ), Rome, Rio, and so on
Happy And Alert Travel!
NatGeo : Scam City Series
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 2 Stereotypes about various nationalities
- 3 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 4 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 5 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 6 Is Venice really dirty?
- 7 Authentic czech food
- 8 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 9 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 10 Two weeks in Paris guiding 4 couples. Need help with itinerary!
- 11 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 12 Kimhe--flamenco
- 13 Prague, Krakow, Budapest and Vienna
- 14 Limavady, Ireland?? Where is it?
- 15 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 16 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 17 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 18 Kids in Pubs -- N Ireland and Ireland
- 19 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 20 Your Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe?
- 21 Christmas in London
- 22 Autumn in Paris
- 23 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 24 Norway Advice
- 25 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia