Excuse me if this topic appears out of context or place, but past few weeks I have been watching the Scam City series in Nat Geo.
It’s available here also : http://natgeotv.com/asia/scam-city
The series covers some of the famous tourist destinations all over the world and the tourist scams/ tourist traps. It’s good to watch it if you are visiting any of the cities. but in general it will make you a more alert traveler.
The last episode was about Istakmil street in Istanbul, Turkey and how you can get tricked by a total stranger to share a drink in a local pub and end up paying a minimum of $1000 ( yes $1K ) for a couple of beers.
I have seen episodes of Prague, Buenos Aires, Marrakech ( famous old carpet scam ), Rome, Rio, and so on
Happy And Alert Travel!
NatGeo : Scam City Series
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Limavady, Ireland?? Where is it?
- 2 Christmas in London
- 3 Autumn in Paris
- 4 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 5 Norway Advice
- 6 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 7 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia
- 8 Travel from London Heathrow to Belfast or Dublin
- 9 Kids in Pubs -- N Ireland and Ireland
- 10 Winter in Paris
- 11 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 12 Stay in 1 Place or Multiple
- 13 Transportation or Driver recommendations / experiences Ireland/ N Ireland
- 14 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 15 Is this enough time for Canterbury, Beachy Head, and Dover?
- 16 Review of 4.5 days in London
- 17 Prague, Krakow, Budapest and Vienna
- 18 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 19 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 20 Need help with Baltics trip.
- 21 Restaurants Venice, Rome, and Florence
- 22 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 23 Planning Europe trip
- 24 Is Venice really dirty?
- 25 planning a trip to Europe next year!