Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Staying on Ile de la Cite
- 2 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 3 Crazy Question regarding Flat Iron usage in Europe
- 4 help in planning itinerary to UK
- 5 Venice at Christmas
- 6 Bayeux and environs
- 7 Greenland: Photos of Midnight Sun Iceberg Kayaking
- 8 Best way to see Croatia?
- 9 Rome For 2 days
- 10 Is Europcar ok if I have no other choice?
- 11 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 12 Camino Redux
- 13 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 14 Rome Hotel: Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona?
- 15 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 16 The highlands
- 17 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 18 Sightseeing Around Belgrade, Serbia
- 19 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 20 Immigration entering UK to visit BF! Need advice!
- 21 Vienna to Bratislava
- 22 Amalie/Rome
- 23 *Help!* Puglia vs Sicily vs Amalfi Coast?
- 24 Help with Germany and Eastern Europe
- 25 Berlin to Barcelona
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: