Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 2 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 3 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 4 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 5 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 6 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 7 T Mobile Does it Again
- 8 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 9 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 10 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 11 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 12 Seville Itinerary
- 13 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 14 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 15 Dolomites October 14-18
- 16 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 17 Italy by car
- 18 Florence 2 weeks
- 19 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 20 Santorini
- 21 One in Paris ... help
- 22 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 23 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 24 Which order should I travel
- 25 Which order should I travel
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: