Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London lodging 3 adults 3 kids (7,11,13)
- 2 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 3 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 4 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 5 Road trip Italy
- 6 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 7 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 8 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 9 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 10 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 11 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 12 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 13 Hilton CPH no loner
- 14 Swiss registered car in Liechtenstein
- 15 travel around Spain
- 16 Scotland Trip Report
- 17 French Wedding
- 18 Best way to walk up Gianicolo hill Rome
- 19 Charming villages in Austria for hiking trip in mid-June 2016?
- 20 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 21 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 22 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 23 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 24 Cornwall UK
- 25 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: