Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ideas for a Mother-Daughter UK Trip
- 2 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 3 Ten days in Portugal - what are your favorites?
- 4 Irish wedding - correct attire advice please?
- 5 Best website to book tickets for Uffizi Gallery Florence
- 6 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 7 flea markets in France
- 8 What to wear
- 9 High Level 12 day Itinerary for Turkey; Mountain Lovers and Photographer
- 10 Berlin to Salzburg in 2 weeks
- 11 London neighborhood suggestions
- 12 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 13 Spain tips beyond safety
- 14 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 15 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 16 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 17 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 18 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 19 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 20 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 21 Fine-tuning a 30 day stay in Switzerland June 2014
- 22 german rail ticket question
- 23 GENEVE,MONTREUX,INTERLAKEN and LUZERN or Weggis?
- 24 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 25 Madrid and London