Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 2 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 3 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 4 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 5 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 6 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 7 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 8 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 9 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 10 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 11 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 12 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 13 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 14 Chania
- 15 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 16 Car rental in Santorini port
- 17 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 18 Renting a car in Greece
- 19 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 20 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 21 renting a car in greece
- 22 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 23 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 24 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 25 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: