Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Week Trip to Central/Eastern Europe
- 2 Charles DeGaulle to Paris
- 3 Day Trips or Open Jaw Munich,Vienna,Budapest?
- 4 Is this a good hotel and loaction in Paris?
- 5 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 6 Guys please Help, Italy areas, where to stay. Running out of time.
- 7 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 8 another Naples and Amalfi coast question
- 9 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 10 What area of Venice to stay?
- 11 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 12 Getting a rheum in Paris, then Django Fest week in Fontainebleau
- 13 Rome/Sorrento/Amalfi Itinerary help
- 14 Help - Paris or Rome in December?
- 15 Venice - airport, cruise ship terminal, hotel, & airport taxi question
- 16 London 2-for-1: Using an "unused" Train Ticket
- 17 A week in Le Marche
- 18 Brussels Restaurants
- 19 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 20 5 Nights in the Midlands
- 21 Paris and Corsica- hopefully a trip report!
- 22 Which Italy / London routing do you recommend?
- 23 Trip report-London, France, Belguim
- 24 A/C in Basel
- 25 Why Are We NOT Packed Yet? Munich, Verona, Stresa, Edinburgh, and London
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: