Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 2 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 3 Markets in Malaga, Seville, Madrid
- 4 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 5 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 6 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 7 Car rental in Paris
- 8 Heathrow to hotel transportation question
- 9 Rome train to Positano
- 10 Road Maps of Ireland
- 11 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 12 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 13 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 14 Granada to Cordoba to Madrid--Doable??
- 15 A new travel app for Poland
- 16 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 17 France to stop making foie grois
- 18 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 19 Naples or Genoa
- 20 Manchester on derby weekend
- 21 Night Walk, food and Shopping in Rome
- 22 December in Slovenia
- 23 Budapest/Krakow/Warsaw
- 24 Itinerary help please!
- 25 Dover queues
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: