Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 I forgot my international driver permit
- 2 Home base for a month in France?
- 3 5 Days in Dublin
- 4 Greece in 15 Days
- 5 Procida for a day (or part of one) versus time on Capri
- 6 Florence Leather Shop - Real or Rip Off ?
- 7 Layover at Lisbon and trip to Sintra
- 8 Schengen Entry Ban ,can travel Romania?
- 9 Train Ticket Help
- 10 Our European adventures
- 11 20 free days of Europe
- 12 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 13 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 14 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 15 Bordeaux TRIP
- 16 Barcelona completely overrated
- 17 TRAVEL COMPANION WANTED
- 18 Naples or Genoa
- 19 Dublin Hotel Recommendations
- 20 Munich restaurant recs
- 21 Norway accessories and must have
- 22 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 23 England and Wales by public transport
- 24 Norway holiday locations
- 25 When to go to Norway for a ski trip?
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: