Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help - Roadtrip North of Barcelona
- 2 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 3 Trip Report: Barcelona, Costa Brava, & Northern Catalonia
- 4 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 5 Cutback on Spain trip
- 6 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 7 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 8 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 9 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 10 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 11 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 12 driving from ancona to rome
- 13 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 14 Croatia transportation question.
- 15 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 16 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 17 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 18 Traveling to Croatia w/ infant - tips?
- 19 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 20 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 21 2017 Easter in Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 24 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 25 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: