Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transport in Venice
- 2 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 3 Rome Areas to stay
- 4 Any recommended shops on Rue du Cherche Midi? Or nearby?
- 5 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 6 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 7 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 8 Wengen to Torino?
- 9 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 10 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 11 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?
- 12 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 13 England & Scotland in April
- 14 In France, French Summer Camps For Kids
- 15 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 16 Review of Air France A380 Premium Economy
- 17 Kimhe--flamenco
- 18 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 19 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 20 St Germain
- 21 Lakes District UK
- 22 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 23 Santorini Airfare - what's a good deal (generally/historically)?
- 24 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 25 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list