Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Santorini lodging
- 2 Question re best time of day to visit Keukenhof
- 3 Barcelona
- 4 Spain and South of France
- 5 Greece + Italy | Itinerary Suggestions
- 6 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 7 Algarve location Help
- 8 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 9 Andalucia itinerary help
- 10 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 11 Where to stay & what to do in Gran Canaria?
- 12 Ischia
- 13 Killarney
- 14 Romania - Good destination for 2017
- 15 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 16 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 17 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 18 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 19 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 20 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 21 Germany family road trip help!
- 22 Windycar Instanbul- Car rental deposit scam
- 23 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 24 Prague
- 25 No Periods in British Written English!
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: