Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Christmas Day in Granada
- 5 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 6 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 7 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 8 Schengen Rule
- 9 Quizz !
- 10 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 11 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 12 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 13 Zurich to Milan trip
- 14 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 15 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 16 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 17 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 18 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 19 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 20 Pay attention to your watches !
- 21 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 22 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 23 Venice/Mestre
- 24 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 25 Italy Car Scam
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: