Our trip to Italy:
Late September to early October DH and I took a much-anticipated 2-week trip to Italy for our 30th anniversary. The actual date was in June, but we decided for work and weather reasons, that we’d go in late September. We were glad we did as the weather was warm and the tomatoes and figs were ripe.
Flights: used FF miles on American to get there, which meant a 22-hour layover in New York. We were happy to do that. Arrived late on a Wednesday night, stayed in a hotel, visited the Met’s newly redone American wing and had lunch with an old friend.
We flew to London and spent several days there visiting a very dear friend and getting to know her husband. But that was a visit, and my report is about Italy. Except I will mention that I loved the Courtauld Gallery and the Tate Britain.
We were very happy with every place we stayed:
- Meuble Santa Chiara in Naples. 2 nights at 65 EU per night.
- Tenuta Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro in the Cilento. 2 nights at 80 EU per night half-board. Yes, that great price includes the BEST dinner and breakfast.
- Marulivo Hotel in Pisciotta in the Cilento. 1 night for 130 EU a night for a superior room.
- Rifugio degli Dei near (but thankfully not in) Positano. 4 nights for 100 EU a night.
- Sistina1 apartment from RealRome. 4 nights at 110 EU a night.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 2 French Riviera
- 3 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 4 Enjoying England for a year!
- 5 Decrepit dame does Deutschland
- 6 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 7 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 8 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 9 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 10 Seeking apartment recommendations in a Chanti village
- 11 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 12 Advice to store my luggage in Paris ?
- 13 transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport
- 14 Car necessary in Wengen, Switzerland
- 15 Stonehenge and Bath
- 16 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 17 Barcelona extension
- 18 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 19 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 20 My First Trip to Europe...
- 21 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 22 From Genoa to Rome...
- 23 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 24 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 25 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
Naples, the Cilento, Positano & Rome. Sept/Oct 2012
Our trip to Italy: