I blame Bono.
Ten years ago, an eon, really – before marriage, mortgage, little boys – my boyfriend and I slouched on a futon in a drafty garden "apartment" in Paris' 4th, swilling $2 Bordeaux from juice glasses and listening to Beautiful Day for the 5th time in 2 days on the same radio station, estimating that given the time actually spent in said apartment between sightseeing etc. they must be hitting Replay before the last chord. Psychological programming, bells with salivation, I associate the song with Paris, and the only worthwhile station in my area slid it into rotation a few months back, just in time to nose around for our annual Every Child Left Behind getaway.
Ah, but budgetary straitjackets, nosediving Dollars, and the realization that neither my arse nor my amygdala thinks that crappy backpacker beds in sketchy 'hood hotels are romantic (anymore) meant that other options had to be explored; someplace new, less spendy, and within relatively easy reach in case my folks sent up a flare or two.
I threw in the earplugs and threw down the Visa. Bye-bye Bono and Bordeaux, hello Budapest.
My Overly Verbose Budapest Trip Report
I blame Bono.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 2 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 3 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 4 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 5 Lake Como transportation questions
- 6 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 7 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 8 history museums or locations
- 9 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 10 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 11 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 12 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 13 By train to and out of Prague
- 14 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 15 Cylades Island Hopping
- 16 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 17 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 18 Italy dolomites
- 19 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 20 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 21 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 22 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 23 Airport ATMs
- 24 All Set To Go!!
- 25 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?