I blame Bono.
Ten years ago, an eon, really – before marriage, mortgage, little boys – my boyfriend and I slouched on a futon in a drafty garden "apartment" in Paris' 4th, swilling $2 Bordeaux from juice glasses and listening to Beautiful Day for the 5th time in 2 days on the same radio station, estimating that given the time actually spent in said apartment between sightseeing etc. they must be hitting Replay before the last chord. Psychological programming, bells with salivation, I associate the song with Paris, and the only worthwhile station in my area slid it into rotation a few months back, just in time to nose around for our annual Every Child Left Behind getaway.
Ah, but budgetary straitjackets, nosediving Dollars, and the realization that neither my arse nor my amygdala thinks that crappy backpacker beds in sketchy 'hood hotels are romantic (anymore) meant that other options had to be explored; someplace new, less spendy, and within relatively easy reach in case my folks sent up a flare or two.
I threw in the earplugs and threw down the Visa. Bye-bye Bono and Bordeaux, hello Budapest.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 2 Ireland travel passport question
- 3 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 4 Hotel in Vienna
- 5 Engadine Valley help
- 6 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 7 Where to buy Saffron?
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 9 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 10 Tuscany 6 nights
- 11 France & Italy, May or June
- 12 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 13 Planning a European Trip
- 14 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 15 1st time in ZURICH
- 16 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 17 Where can I learn how to purchase property in France? (for a US citizen)
- 18 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 19 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 20 French restaurants
- 21 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 22 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 23 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 24 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 25 Do not use MYIPB to ship from London
I blame Bono.