After London and Paris, and as part of a 3 week trip to Europe with my boys, who will be almost 15 and 13 (Sept/Oct), I plan to take the train to Switzerland.
I read that Murren is lovely and car-free, so thought we'd go there.
I now have concerns about
a. adding to the travel time with lots of train changes
b. inhibiting our time in the Alps. How long would it take us to e.g. go up Jungfraujoch from Murren? Is it just plain silly to base ourselves there with only 4 days (and nights) in Switzerland?
Naturally we'll be spending a lot of time hiking and loving the natural beauty after two major cities.
Also, following this we will be travelling down to northern Italy (5 days before flying home), so this may also affect the decision (more questions on this topic to follow!)
Thank you for any help with these decisions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 2 Ballet Bolshoi
- 3 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 4 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 5 Le Marche, Italy
- 6 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 7 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 8 Itinerary Help - 5 weeks Spain and Portugal Cities
- 9 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 10 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 11 Scenic full day drive from Bacharach & return?
- 12 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 13 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm
- 14 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 15 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 16 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 17 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 18 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 19 Trains France/Switzerland
- 20 fear of driving in rome!
- 21 Italy trains question
- 22 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 23 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 24 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 25 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
Murren or Grindelwald? 4 days including train from Paris with 2 teen boys