This October, we happened to pass the Opera House in Munich on our self-guided walking tour, and I was able to get a 10 Euro "Standing Ticket" (Stehplatz) for the same night, for a premiere of Bizet's "Carmen". There were no seats at all available, only the standing room. I thought, even if I could only stand for an hour, it would be worth 10 Euros. But I was enthralled for three and a half hours. The Opera House is a traditional red and gold circular one , with five balconies, and my "Stehplatz" was on the middle level , front row of two. I could see a bit more than half the stage and orchestra, and I could sit and just listen if I wanted to on the "Stehplatz" behind me, which jutted out a bit. The acoustics were world class, and it was a wonderful night. For anyone going to Munich, I'd recommend it!
Munich Opera for only 10 Euros
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 2 December in Munich, Salzburg, Graz, and Budapest
- 3 Tent camping in France, Spain and Portugal
- 4 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 5 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 6 Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
- 7 Hotel in Rome?
- 8 Ukraine: witch-hunt has begun
- 9 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 10 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 11 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 12 Favorite hotels
- 13 St. Katherine Dock area flat for first time visit?
- 14 Late night dinner in Menton?
- 15 9 Days In Ireland-Flying in and out of Shannon
- 16 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury
- 17 Passport Delays
- 18 Travel to Romania Transilvania Tours
- 19 Ideas for Shropshire Please
- 20 Message for Ackislander
- 21 Two bedroom apt in Venice?
- 22 Puglia--need hotel for last 2 nites HELP trip is coming up
- 23 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 24 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 25 Thinking of Minori as "home base"?