I wrote about this last year and now our plans, or at least the dates of our plans, are shoring up. We are planning our trip for the last two weeks of May 2016. I would like to stay for two weeks in order to see what both of us are excited about. My daughter will be finishing her junior year in college. She is the history fanatic, especially interested in all things medieval, castles, architectural history, the Celtic culture, medieval churches and castles, etc. We are most interested in Edinburgh, York, the Cotswolds, and London, but she also has expressed an interest in Nottingham (loves Robin Hood
"But if you have 2 weeks "on the Ground" I think you can fit it all in. One option might be: Fly into EDI or GLA and spend 3 nights/2.5 days in Edinburgh, Take the train to York and spend 1 night/1.5 days. Pick up a car and drive down to the Cotswolds - spend 3 or 4 nights. Then drive to LHR, drop the car and spend the last 6 or so days in London. Fly home. (or you do it in reverse.)"
janis, I really like this plan, but wonder how hard/long of a drive is it from York to the Cotswolds? I am not totally confident with my driving, I "think" I could do it, but.....The only other thought is for us to skip Edinburgh and just stay with York, the Cotswolds, (maybe Nottingham) and London. I don't want to overplan and overdo, but I don't want to have the two weeks and wish that maybe we would have seen more parts of the UK
either. Any thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 2 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 3 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 4 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 5 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 6 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 7 Driving from Alesund to Geiranger
- 8 Planning a European Trip
- 9 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 10 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
- 11 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 12 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 13 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 14 Italy for Christmas Week
- 15 train or plane
- 16 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 17 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 18 Norway Itinerary
- 19 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 20 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 21 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 22 Krakow glass Christmas ornaments
- 23 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 24 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 25 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition