I am leaving on vacation with my family in less than 5 days. We are a couple in our mid 30s and our 3 year old boy. Would appreciate help from Fodorites.
I am putting down the details of my trip below. I am a little unsure of the Mosel valley and Blackforest part of the trip. All help appreciated..
26th June - Fly into Brussels and leave for Brugges the same day
26th - 29th June (3 nights) - Brugges (Belgium)
29th June - Leave for Ernst (5 Km from Cochem) - by train (would most likely arrive by late evening)
29 June - 2nd July - 3 nights at Ernst
2rd - 4th July (2 nights) - Plan to spend it in the Black Forest towns
4th - 6th July (2 nights) - Fussen
6th - 9th July (3 nights) - Munich
9th - 12th July (3 nights) - Zell Am See (Austria)
12 July - Leave for Vienna and fly out on 13th July
Now the help that I require:
We were initially thinking of taking the romantic road, but after reading reports of the black forest, decided to take this route.
I am looking for good scenery with an option to stop at small quaint towns. I would like to visit the Cockoo clock factory, the waterfalls and maybe take short hikes / walks (here we might be a little constrained because of our little boy).
We are looking at a 2 night stop, on our way from Cochem to Fussen.
1. I would like to avoid large towns like Baden Baden and feel we should stay at either Gengenbach or Schiltach.
Considering the driving distance, would like to take a stop before these places - any suggestions?
2. I read posts on car vs train and am still a little undecided. Do we need a car to move around in the Mosel valley? Would it be more convenient?
Also can the Black forest be enjoyed by train?
Any suggestions / comments are welcome.
Thanks a lot.. Look forward to hearing for you on this..
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 2 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 3 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 4 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 5 Cordoba Overnight?
- 6 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 7 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 8 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 11 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 12 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 13 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 14 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 15 Itinerary help for 2 weeks vacation
- 16 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 17 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 18 Uffizi Phone Number
- 19 Itinerary Help Needed. 8 Days in Greece~
- 20 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 21 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 22 Piedmont as a destination
- 23 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 24 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 25 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July