I am leaving on vacation with my family in less than 5 days. We are a couple in our mid 30s and our 3 year old boy. Would appreciate help from Fodorites.
I am putting down the details of my trip below. I am a little unsure of the Mosel valley and Blackforest part of the trip. All help appreciated..
26th June - Fly into Brussels and leave for Brugges the same day
26th - 29th June (3 nights) - Brugges (Belgium)
29th June - Leave for Ernst (5 Km from Cochem) - by train (would most likely arrive by late evening)
29 June - 2nd July - 3 nights at Ernst
2rd - 4th July (2 nights) - Plan to spend it in the Black Forest towns
4th - 6th July (2 nights) - Fussen
6th - 9th July (3 nights) - Munich
9th - 12th July (3 nights) - Zell Am See (Austria)
12 July - Leave for Vienna and fly out on 13th July
Now the help that I require:
We were initially thinking of taking the romantic road, but after reading reports of the black forest, decided to take this route.
I am looking for good scenery with an option to stop at small quaint towns. I would like to visit the Cockoo clock factory, the waterfalls and maybe take short hikes / walks (here we might be a little constrained because of our little boy).
We are looking at a 2 night stop, on our way from Cochem to Fussen.
1. I would like to avoid large towns like Baden Baden and feel we should stay at either Gengenbach or Schiltach.
Considering the driving distance, would like to take a stop before these places - any suggestions?
2. I read posts on car vs train and am still a little undecided. Do we need a car to move around in the Mosel valley? Would it be more convenient?
Also can the Black forest be enjoyed by train?
Any suggestions / comments are welcome.
Thanks a lot.. Look forward to hearing for you on this..
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 2 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 3 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 4 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 5 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 6 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 7 getting to CDG
- 8 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 9 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 10 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 11 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 Towersey, London
- 14 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 15 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 16 Biarritz family holiday
- 17 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 18 With Locals dinner- anyone done one?
- 19 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 20 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 21 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 22 Ireland in April
- 23 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 24 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 25 please help me plan first trip to europe