I have planned a summer holiday with my family to Moscow and St Petersburg. The itinerary is as follows:
Thursday 30-Jun-15 Departure to Moscow
Friday 01-Jul-15 Moscow
Saturday 02-Jul-15 Moscow
Sunday 03-Jul-15 Moscow
Monday 04-Jul-15 Moscow
Tuesday 05-Jul-15 Departure to St Petersburg by Red Arrow Express
Wednesday 06-Jul-15 St Petersburg
Thursday 07-Jul-15 St Petersburg
Friday 08-Jul-15 St Petersburg
Saturday 09-Jul-15 St Petersburg
Sunday 10-Jul-15 St Petersburg
Monday 11-Jul-15 Departure to Moscow by Red Arrow Express
Tuesday 12-Jul-15 Departure to Mumbai
I get 5 full days in Moscow (the first day we will be a bit tired so will take it easy). Then the overnight sleeper train to St Petersburg - 6 days at St Petersburg, overnight train back to Moscow, go directly to the airport, and fly back home. Please critique the itinerary mentioned above. The intention is clearly to sight-see at a leisurely pace, eat local food, have a good time in general.
Will I need the services of a local tour guides or can one get by by using Lonely Planet Travel guides? This is the first time I am visiting a country where not only is language a problem, but even the alphabets used are different, which means one cannot simply match names mentioned in a guide book with those on name plates and get by. As I understand, not many signboards are in English.
Any recommendations on budget tour guides? The larger ones are expensive, one quote I received was for USD 1200 for a 3 day tour of St Petersburg, for 3 adults, all tickets included (no meals) with about 7 - 8 hour of sightseeing each day.
Look forward to hearing from you all.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Santorini lodging
- 2 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 3 What do after Bernia Express?
- 4 Where to buy things outside of Munich
- 5 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 6 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 7 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 8 Self drive tour companies
- 9 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 10 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 11 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 12 Ischia
- 13 9 days in London
- 14 Germany family road trip help!
- 15 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 16 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 17 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 18 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 19 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 20 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 21 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 22 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 23 Lyon
- 24 Italian lakes
- 25 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail