My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy this May. Assuming we have ten full days (i.e. arrive in Rome on a Friday morning and leave 10 days later on a Monday), I'd like to get some different takes on what we might possibly do. This will be our 2nd anniversary and a belated honeymoon Flight is not yet set in stone, so we can fly into anywhere, really. Here's an open itinerary:
Friday 5/9 - Arrive in Rome in morning
Sat 5/10 - Rome
Sun 5/11 - Rome?
Monday 5/12 - Travel to Florence in morning
Tues 5/13 - Florence
Weds 5/14 - Tuscany
Thurs 5/14- Tuscany
Fri 5/16 - Tuscany?
Sat 5/17 Tuscany or Venice?
Sun 5/18 Tuscany or Venice?
Monday 5/19 - Head back home.
We'd like to spend some time in Rome & Florence for sure. I figured 3 days in Rome, 2 in Florence, and 4-5 in the smaller Tuscan towns.
My question is, are we foolish to spend that much time in Tuscany, or should we consider splitting those 4 days between Tuscan countryside and Venice? I don't know much about Venice - is it worth the trip? Is two days enough?
More about us:
I'll be 33, he's 38. He's a history buff. I love art, wine, and just being submersed in a different culture. We'd love to sight see, but frankly, we could just use some R&R and romance as well, rather than being on a tight "must see everything schedule", which is why I had hoped to spend half the trip in Tuscany, which sounded a little more slow-paced. Tuscany has always been my dream - visiting wineries, possibly taking an afternoon cooking class, visiting a Tuscan town like Siena or Lucca. I'm slightly worried that my husband might get a little antsy though and perhaps we're missing out on Venice. I don't know much about it. Yes, I realize I can read a book. Just thought I'd ask for some first hand advice on here first.
We will most likely return to Italy on another trip in the next decade and focus on Amalfi Coast/Capri and can spend more time in Rome on that trip.
Thanks for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 2 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 3 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 4 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 5 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April
- 6 Italian lakes
- 7 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 8 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 9 Spain and South of France
- 10 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 11 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 12 renting car with automatic transmission
- 13 Self drive tour companies
- 14 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 15 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 16 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 17 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 18 May get together in Paris
- 19 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 20 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 21 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 22 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 23 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 24 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 25 Best soft sand beaches, Ischia