My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy this May. Assuming we have ten full days (i.e. arrive in Rome on a Friday morning and leave 10 days later on a Monday), I'd like to get some different takes on what we might possibly do. This will be our 2nd anniversary and a belated honeymoon Flight is not yet set in stone, so we can fly into anywhere, really. Here's an open itinerary:
Friday 5/9 - Arrive in Rome in morning
Sat 5/10 - Rome
Sun 5/11 - Rome?
Monday 5/12 - Travel to Florence in morning
Tues 5/13 - Florence
Weds 5/14 - Tuscany
Thurs 5/14- Tuscany
Fri 5/16 - Tuscany?
Sat 5/17 Tuscany or Venice?
Sun 5/18 Tuscany or Venice?
Monday 5/19 - Head back home.
We'd like to spend some time in Rome & Florence for sure. I figured 3 days in Rome, 2 in Florence, and 4-5 in the smaller Tuscan towns.
My question is, are we foolish to spend that much time in Tuscany, or should we consider splitting those 4 days between Tuscan countryside and Venice? I don't know much about Venice - is it worth the trip? Is two days enough?
More about us:
I'll be 33, he's 38. He's a history buff. I love art, wine, and just being submersed in a different culture. We'd love to sight see, but frankly, we could just use some R&R and romance as well, rather than being on a tight "must see everything schedule", which is why I had hoped to spend half the trip in Tuscany, which sounded a little more slow-paced. Tuscany has always been my dream - visiting wineries, possibly taking an afternoon cooking class, visiting a Tuscan town like Siena or Lucca. I'm slightly worried that my husband might get a little antsy though and perhaps we're missing out on Venice. I don't know much about it. Yes, I realize I can read a book. Just thought I'd ask for some first hand advice on here first.
We will most likely return to Italy on another trip in the next decade and focus on Amalfi Coast/Capri and can spend more time in Rome on that trip.
Thanks for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 3 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 4 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 5 Kroller-Muller Museum
- 6 Les Invalides Night Show
- 7 limousine services - milan - rome
- 8 Shorts in South of France?
- 9 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 10 Taxi from Linate to lecco
- 11 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 12 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 13 Camogli and surrounds
- 14 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 15 Lario Bus or taxi at Linate?
- 16 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 17 2 days in Florence
- 18 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 20 Tinos , Naxos and other islands
- 21 Tinos , Naxos and other islands
- 22 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 23 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 24 Shuttle service from Munich to Prague
- 25 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto