I posted my proposed itinerary a week ago and had several great responses. I thought I was ready to put down my lodging deposits when the ship started to turn a bit. Another round of input would be great so I can make some decisions and not spend hours a day on-line researching this trip!
Arrive in Venice
4 Nights Venice
Drive to Tuscany
7 nights in Tuscany (side trips Florence, Sienna, Lucca/Pisa?)
Drive/train to Sorrento (drop car Naples or Sorrento?)
7 Nights in Sorrento (day trips Pompeii, Capri, Naples?)
4 Nights Rome
The questions that have come up:
- Should we spend less time in Italy (cut out Tuscany or Sorrento) and add another country? My kids have been to London and Paris.
- I have been planning on a wonderful sounding hosted villa in the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany - however it does not have a real pool (just a wading/plunge pool) - I am wondering three things:
1. Would teenagers be happier at an agriturisum with more people around?
2. Am I crazy not to have a real pool available to them? Only one is a big pool kid but I worry about heat or having something to do in the evenings.
3. Is this area of Tuscany interesting for teens or should I look in the area closer to Lucca/Sienna?
Since we have three weeks of family togetherness I want to make sure the kids have some time to interact with others so I don't really want a completely independent villa. My kids are three 16 year olds and a 14 year old (2 boys/2 girls) so they kind of have their own built in buddies - but part of the fun of traveling is meeting new people.
I like the idea of a slower, more immersion vacation but maybe teens would prefer to be on the go more and explore more than just Italy . Sorry for the complicated post - any thoughts would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 20 Days in Europe
- 2 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 3 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 4 Farmhouse stay in Ireland?
- 5 Planning and Logistics Amsterdam, Lakes district and scotland
- 6 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 7 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 8 Travel vs. Babies
- 9 First trip to Italy
- 10 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 11 Bruges to Paris Train Questions
- 12 Safe to bring jewelry onboard
- 13 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 14 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 15 Budapest Hotels
- 16 Amalfi Coast to Barcelona
- 17 Eastern Provence, French Alps, Nice
- 18 Need suggestions for musical Events in Rome
- 19 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 20 10 days in Ireland! Ready? Shoot.
- 21 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 22 Two more earthquakes strike central Italy
- 23 CDG much improved
- 24 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 25 Sicily Tour Service