I posted my proposed itinerary a week ago and had several great responses. I thought I was ready to put down my lodging deposits when the ship started to turn a bit. Another round of input would be great so I can make some decisions and not spend hours a day on-line researching this trip!
Arrive in Venice
4 Nights Venice
Drive to Tuscany
7 nights in Tuscany (side trips Florence, Sienna, Lucca/Pisa?)
Drive/train to Sorrento (drop car Naples or Sorrento?)
7 Nights in Sorrento (day trips Pompeii, Capri, Naples?)
4 Nights Rome
The questions that have come up:
- Should we spend less time in Italy (cut out Tuscany or Sorrento) and add another country? My kids have been to London and Paris.
- I have been planning on a wonderful sounding hosted villa in the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany - however it does not have a real pool (just a wading/plunge pool) - I am wondering three things:
1. Would teenagers be happier at an agriturisum with more people around?
2. Am I crazy not to have a real pool available to them? Only one is a big pool kid but I worry about heat or having something to do in the evenings.
3. Is this area of Tuscany interesting for teens or should I look in the area closer to Lucca/Sienna?
Since we have three weeks of family togetherness I want to make sure the kids have some time to interact with others so I don't really want a completely independent villa. My kids are three 16 year olds and a 14 year old (2 boys/2 girls) so they kind of have their own built in buddies - but part of the fun of traveling is meeting new people.
I like the idea of a slower, more immersion vacation but maybe teens would prefer to be on the go more and explore more than just Italy . Sorry for the complicated post - any thoughts would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rental car in Italy
- 2 Euro Quiz # 106 - Countries Loving McDonalds the Most!
- 3 Best Hotel in Tuscany?
- 4 Changes in security at Schiphol
- 5 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 6 Ideas for 5 Nights in Wengen and 3 nights in Lucerne
- 7 Kathie & Cheryl plan our 2016 trip to Europe
- 8 London, Berchtgaden and??
- 9 Switzerland 5 days
- 10 Sardinia- Cala Gonone lodging
- 11 Positano - Choosing a Hotel
- 12 Help- Advice or experiences traveling with a handicapped person?
- 13 Driver from Rome Fiumincio Airport to Ostia
- 14 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 15 Where to Buy Affordable Scarves in Paris
- 16 Portugal itinerary suggestions (with Marrakech tossed in)
- 17 Southern Europe Trip for New Travelers
- 18 Itinerary help
- 19 Todi as a stopover?
- 20 Bernina or Glacier Express?
- 21 Dordogne Trip Report
- 22 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 23 Vacationing alone in Paris, Switzerland, Croatia and Russia 2016
- 24 Need help with Europe itinerary
- 25 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...