I posted my proposed itinerary a week ago and had several great responses. I thought I was ready to put down my lodging deposits when the ship started to turn a bit. Another round of input would be great so I can make some decisions and not spend hours a day on-line researching this trip!
Arrive in Venice
4 Nights Venice
Drive to Tuscany
7 nights in Tuscany (side trips Florence, Sienna, Lucca/Pisa?)
Drive/train to Sorrento (drop car Naples or Sorrento?)
7 Nights in Sorrento (day trips Pompeii, Capri, Naples?)
4 Nights Rome
The questions that have come up:
- Should we spend less time in Italy (cut out Tuscany or Sorrento) and add another country? My kids have been to London and Paris.
- I have been planning on a wonderful sounding hosted villa in the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany - however it does not have a real pool (just a wading/plunge pool) - I am wondering three things:
1. Would teenagers be happier at an agriturisum with more people around?
2. Am I crazy not to have a real pool available to them? Only one is a big pool kid but I worry about heat or having something to do in the evenings.
3. Is this area of Tuscany interesting for teens or should I look in the area closer to Lucca/Sienna?
Since we have three weeks of family togetherness I want to make sure the kids have some time to interact with others so I don't really want a completely independent villa. My kids are three 16 year olds and a 14 year old (2 boys/2 girls) so they kind of have their own built in buddies - but part of the fun of traveling is meeting new people.
I like the idea of a slower, more immersion vacation but maybe teens would prefer to be on the go more and explore more than just Italy . Sorry for the complicated post - any thoughts would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Bordeaux
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 4 13 nights in switzerland
- 5 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 6 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 7 Germany-Car or Train
- 8 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 9 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 10 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 11 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 12 Language to use in Belgium
- 13 Getting around London
- 14 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 15 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 16 WWI sites
- 17 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 18 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 19 Paris in August
- 20 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 21 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 22 Christmas in Spain
- 23 Brussels flower tapestry
- 24 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 25 Lake Como,Italy