I'll be visiting Barcelona in a couple of weeks. I would like to visit Montserrat one of the days I am there.
Friday, September 8 seems to be a pilgrimage day to Montserrat according to an old New York Times article:
<< A monastery has stood on the same site in Montserrat since the early Middle Ages, though the present 19th-century building replaced the rubble left by Napoléon's troops in 1812. The shrine is world-famous, and one of Catalonia's spiritual sanctuaries: honeymooning couples flock here by the thousands seeking La Moreneta's blessing on their marriages, and twice a year, on April 27 and September 8, the diminutive statue of Montserrat's Black Virgin becomes the object of one of Spain's greatest pilgrimages.>>
I imagine that day will be very crowded.
The only other day I have available is Sunday, Sept 10. Anyone have any experience with how crowded it will be on a Sunday, please?
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 2 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 3 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 4 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 5 Iceland for Nine Days
- 6 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 7 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 10 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 11 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 12 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 13 Rome or Venice first
- 14 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 15 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 16 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 17 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 18 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 19 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 20 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 21 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 22 Last two nights of SW England trip
- 23 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 24 3 day trip to iceland
- 25 Alitala