I am au pairing in Martigny for two months this summer, and at the weekends I'd like to explore the rest of France a little, so I'm planning a short trip to Paris. Upon trying to find good hostels to stay in, I discovered that there seem to be two main groups: those in Montmartre and those in Montparnasse. I've read a couple of threads discussing this choice, but they were from the point of view of middle-aged couples, with presumably different tastes to someone of my age (turning 20 very soon), who is travelling alone on a VERY tight budget. What I'm really looking for is a location that is convenient for seeing the city's famous sights. An abundance of night life and cheap food would be a plus, but the most important thing is that I can either walk or easily take public transport to all the best sites - preferably walking. I'll only be taking a weekend bag, so although Montmarte's proximity to the Gare du Nord is a plus, it's not a deal-breaker. Thank you for any help you can give!
Here are the links to two of the hostels I'm looking at:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train tickets in Italy?
- 2 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 3 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 4 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 5 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 6 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 7 London Restaurants
- 8 Corsica
- 9 17 days in England
- 10 VENICE
- 11 Norway travel help: Bergen-Gjendesheim-Oslo
- 12 London best location
- 13 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 14 Transportation Tips/Advice for Spain (itinerary included)
- 15 1 week in andalusia in early June - suggestions please
- 16 An Introduction to French Wines...
- 17 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 18 Prague, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest Help
- 19 Scandinavian itinerary sanity check
- 20 travel around Spain
- 21 Train up the Jungfrau
- 22 credit and debit cards
- 23 Best sites in Slovenia and Croatia
- 24 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 25 Driving (hire car) in London…