I am au pairing in Martigny for two months this summer, and at the weekends I'd like to explore the rest of France a little, so I'm planning a short trip to Paris. Upon trying to find good hostels to stay in, I discovered that there seem to be two main groups: those in Montmartre and those in Montparnasse. I've read a couple of threads discussing this choice, but they were from the point of view of middle-aged couples, with presumably different tastes to someone of my age (turning 20 very soon), who is travelling alone on a VERY tight budget. What I'm really looking for is a location that is convenient for seeing the city's famous sights. An abundance of night life and cheap food would be a plus, but the most important thing is that I can either walk or easily take public transport to all the best sites - preferably walking. I'll only be taking a weekend bag, so although Montmarte's proximity to the Gare du Nord is a plus, it's not a deal-breaker. Thank you for any help you can give!
Here are the links to two of the hostels I'm looking at:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rotterdam in 1923
- 2 Xmas windows in London
- 3 Romance written with help from Fodorites
- 4 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 5 Stroller in Europe
- 6 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 7 Wroclaw & Krakow, Poland
- 8 Krakow on Christmas Day?
- 9 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 10 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 11 Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?
- 12 Locauto Yes or No? or Europcar in Pisa
- 13 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 14 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 15 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 16 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 17 Holland/France/Spain
- 18 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 19 FindYourItaly Tour Company Reviews?
- 20 Take your time to see San Gimignano
- 21 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 22 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 23 Car rental leaving Rome
- 24 Honeymoon Help! September 2016
- 25 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience