I am au pairing in Martigny for two months this summer, and at the weekends I'd like to explore the rest of France a little, so I'm planning a short trip to Paris. Upon trying to find good hostels to stay in, I discovered that there seem to be two main groups: those in Montmartre and those in Montparnasse. I've read a couple of threads discussing this choice, but they were from the point of view of middle-aged couples, with presumably different tastes to someone of my age (turning 20 very soon), who is travelling alone on a VERY tight budget. What I'm really looking for is a location that is convenient for seeing the city's famous sights. An abundance of night life and cheap food would be a plus, but the most important thing is that I can either walk or easily take public transport to all the best sites - preferably walking. I'll only be taking a weekend bag, so although Montmarte's proximity to the Gare du Nord is a plus, it's not a deal-breaker. Thank you for any help you can give!
Here are the links to two of the hostels I'm looking at:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Happy birthday ATM
- 2 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 3 tickets for Wimbledon
- 4 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 5 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 6 24 hours in Paris
- 7 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 8 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 9 Tips on our visit to Edinburgh, Glencoe, Skye
- 10 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 11 Keukenhof in May?
- 12 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 13 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 14 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 15 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 16 Insurance on rental car options
- 17 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 18 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 19 Istanbul at Easter
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 22 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 23 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 24 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 25 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August