I am au pairing in Martigny for two months this summer, and at the weekends I'd like to explore the rest of France a little, so I'm planning a short trip to Paris. Upon trying to find good hostels to stay in, I discovered that there seem to be two main groups: those in Montmartre and those in Montparnasse. I've read a couple of threads discussing this choice, but they were from the point of view of middle-aged couples, with presumably different tastes to someone of my age (turning 20 very soon), who is travelling alone on a VERY tight budget. What I'm really looking for is a location that is convenient for seeing the city's famous sights. An abundance of night life and cheap food would be a plus, but the most important thing is that I can either walk or easily take public transport to all the best sites - preferably walking. I'll only be taking a weekend bag, so although Montmarte's proximity to the Gare du Nord is a plus, it's not a deal-breaker. Thank you for any help you can give!
Here are the links to two of the hostels I'm looking at:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1888:482:3831 password reset CONTACT YAHOO Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 3 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 4 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 5 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 6 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 9 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 10 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 11 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 12 Italy June 6-16
- 13 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 14 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 15 hill of crosses
- 16 Austria Trip Report
- 17 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 18 Driving through Paris
- 19 Northern Ireland ideas
- 20 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 21 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 22 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 23 Long weekend in Albania
- 24 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 25 Airfare from Paris to Bastia