I am au pairing in Martigny for two months this summer, and at the weekends I'd like to explore the rest of France a little, so I'm planning a short trip to Paris. Upon trying to find good hostels to stay in, I discovered that there seem to be two main groups: those in Montmartre and those in Montparnasse. I've read a couple of threads discussing this choice, but they were from the point of view of middle-aged couples, with presumably different tastes to someone of my age (turning 20 very soon), who is travelling alone on a VERY tight budget. What I'm really looking for is a location that is convenient for seeing the city's famous sights. An abundance of night life and cheap food would be a plus, but the most important thing is that I can either walk or easily take public transport to all the best sites - preferably walking. I'll only be taking a weekend bag, so although Montmarte's proximity to the Gare du Nord is a plus, it's not a deal-breaker. Thank you for any help you can give!
Here are the links to two of the hostels I'm looking at:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One Way... trust or bust?
- 2 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 3 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 4 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 5 Pure Forskolin XT @ http://fornatgaex.com/pure-forskolin-xt-reviews/
- 6 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 7 How best to spend a long day in Warnemunde
- 8 Fake police scam in Budapest
- 9 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 10 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 11 However, once you've gotten
- 12 American Style Restaurants in London
- 13 The Definitive Guide to Behave Like A Local in Spain
- 14 After Mass, on a Sunday, in Rome
- 15 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 16 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 17 Girls trip - Lisbon
- 18 Walking GPS?
- 19 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 20 July 2-5, 2012 Int'l Philosphy Conference at Assos, Turkey (near Troy)
- 21 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 22 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 23 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 24 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 25 France: advice on where to go with young kids