My fiance and I will be spending 2 nights in Montalcino during our honeymoon, and we're looking for a home base where we can be really extravagant and treat ourselves. We'll be looking to spend our 2 nights and one and a half days there taking in a wine tour/tasting or two and having some really kick ass lunches & dinners - we're very open to suggestions here! We've narrowed down to the two hotels below: Castello Banfi and Castello Di Velona. Velona is significantly cheaper though still breathtaking, and would give us more money to spend on meals and cool activities in the area (we will have a rental car so we can drive to different neighboring areas), while Banfi is the #1 hotel in the area and has rave reviews.
Has anyone stayed at either resort, and if so would you recommend it? What do you think we should do? Below I've listed out all of the information I've compiled on each.
Castello Banfi Il Borgo:
Double Room Riserva – Total with VAT: $2,029
Include breakfast, soft drink mini bar and parking
#1 of all hotels in Montalcino - tripadvisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635634-d648286-Reviews-Castello_Banfi_Il_Borgo-Montalcino_Tuscany.html
Castello Di Velona:
Three Room Options:
Spa Deluxe: $1,225 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-deluxe.htm
Spa Exclusive: $1,542 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-exclusive-room.htm
Spa Junior Suite: $1,586 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-junior-suite.htm
Include breakfast & taxes.
#3 of all hotels in Montalcino - tripadvisor reviews; http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635634-d295633-Reviews-Castello_di_Velona-Montalcino_Tuscany.html
Thanks in advance for all of your insights and help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 3 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 4 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 5 Paris Metro
- 6 A good book!!
- 7 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 8 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 9 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 10 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 11 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 12 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 13 If you had to choose one......
- 14 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 15 CDG airport and connection time
- 16 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 17 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 18 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 19 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 20 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 21 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 22 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 23 getting to CDG
- 24 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 25 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
Montalcino Hotel: Castello Banfi Il Borgo vs. Castello Di Velona