My fiance and I will be spending 2 nights in Montalcino during our honeymoon, and we're looking for a home base where we can be really extravagant and treat ourselves. We'll be looking to spend our 2 nights and one and a half days there taking in a wine tour/tasting or two and having some really kick ass lunches & dinners - we're very open to suggestions here! We've narrowed down to the two hotels below: Castello Banfi and Castello Di Velona. Velona is significantly cheaper though still breathtaking, and would give us more money to spend on meals and cool activities in the area (we will have a rental car so we can drive to different neighboring areas), while Banfi is the #1 hotel in the area and has rave reviews.
Has anyone stayed at either resort, and if so would you recommend it? What do you think we should do? Below I've listed out all of the information I've compiled on each.
Castello Banfi Il Borgo:
Double Room Riserva – Total with VAT: $2,029
Include breakfast, soft drink mini bar and parking
#1 of all hotels in Montalcino - tripadvisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635634-d648286-Reviews-Castello_Banfi_Il_Borgo-Montalcino_Tuscany.html
Castello Di Velona:
Three Room Options:
Spa Deluxe: $1,225 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-deluxe.htm
Spa Exclusive: $1,542 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-exclusive-room.htm
Spa Junior Suite: $1,586 - http://www.ehc.it/castello-di-velona-montalcino/en/spa-junior-suite.htm
Include breakfast & taxes.
#3 of all hotels in Montalcino - tripadvisor reviews; http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635634-d295633-Reviews-Castello_di_Velona-Montalcino_Tuscany.html
Thanks in advance for all of your insights and help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 2 God Save the Queen?
- 3 9 Days in Spain
- 4 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 5 Frankfurt to UK
- 6 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 7 Barcelona alternative
- 8 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 9 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 10 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 13 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 14 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 15 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 16 Iceland
- 17 Paris to Italy
- 18 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 19 Milan or Turin
- 20 Upscale Vacation Apartment Rentals in Vienna/Prague
- 21 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 22 Prague and Budapest with a 16 month old
- 23 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 24 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 25 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
Montalcino Hotel: Castello Banfi Il Borgo vs. Castello Di Velona