For all of you that followed my earlier thread about doing a driving trip July in Eastern Europe, thank you so much! Now that we are actually on our way and know our nightly stops, I thought maybe all you German and Austrian experts could chime in with some advice on interesting stops for lunch or sightseeing for this first part of our trip. After we finish up I will knit it all into a trip report for others . I thought I would also do a first "mini" trip report on our first day of the trip since everyone is always so generous.
So we are currently in Strasbourg arriving early evening yesterday. We ate at a lovely regional restaurant called Le Rutsch http://le-rutsch.fr/ Since we were arriving sort of last minute on a Saturday night, it was hard to get a reservation at the top 10 ranked places, but we were really surprised at how good and thoughtfully presented the food was. For example, the owner gave me the name of a fromagerie (cheese store) whose owner is a "MOF" in cheese. That is a big deal in France since it is a very hard status to be awarded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meilleur_Ouvrier_de_France
Also, it was a in a charming little neighborhood where we could park-so a bonus there! We had thought to take the bus, but on Saturday night, the schedule was the greatest, so driving turned out to be okay. Ans the owner explained that the Rutsch is a word that describes a little glass that you slide across a big serving table to get refilled with lovely Alsatian wine, so that was also a fun"aside".
Okay, so now for the questions. We will be driving from here in Strasbourg on to Munich on Monday, where we only spend one night, then on to Salzberg where we will be based for 2 nights. Since the drive to Munich is short-3 hours, I wondered if there are nice places to consider a stop or to eat lunch? We are actually staying in Garching bei München, which is north of Munich itself, since we aren't really focusing on Munich as a destination this trip. We just had to make some choices and decided we wanted more time in Budapest and Slovenia. But of course a great restaurant for dinner that night is always appreciated.
Same thing with the trip to Salzberg. It is 2 hours, so pretty short. Are there interesting places to stop and enjoy (and eat-I know I am food obsessed!). In Salzberg we will have 3 days, so any other city info would be appreciated. There we are staying along the Elisabethkai on the west side of the city. So any not to miss things in the city itself would also be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 2 Safety in Rome
- 3 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 4 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 5 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 6 Europe First Timers
- 7 Greek Village
- 8 Crete Holiday
- 9 Athens Help
- 10 One free day in Barcelona
- 11 Apartment Montreux area
- 12 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 13 Uber vs. TfL
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 15 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 16 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 17 base in brussels
- 18 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 19 Rome or Venice first
- 20 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 21 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 22 Berlin
- 23 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 24 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 25 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
Mini trip report night 1 Strasburg & a few questions for Germany & Austria.