For all of you that followed my earlier thread about doing a driving trip July in Eastern Europe, thank you so much! Now that we are actually on our way and know our nightly stops, I thought maybe all you German and Austrian experts could chime in with some advice on interesting stops for lunch or sightseeing for this first part of our trip. After we finish up I will knit it all into a trip report for others . I thought I would also do a first "mini" trip report on our first day of the trip since everyone is always so generous.
So we are currently in Strasbourg arriving early evening yesterday. We ate at a lovely regional restaurant called Le Rutsch http://le-rutsch.fr/ Since we were arriving sort of last minute on a Saturday night, it was hard to get a reservation at the top 10 ranked places, but we were really surprised at how good and thoughtfully presented the food was. For example, the owner gave me the name of a fromagerie (cheese store) whose owner is a "MOF" in cheese. That is a big deal in France since it is a very hard status to be awarded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meilleur_Ouvrier_de_France
Also, it was a in a charming little neighborhood where we could park-so a bonus there! We had thought to take the bus, but on Saturday night, the schedule was the greatest, so driving turned out to be okay. Ans the owner explained that the Rutsch is a word that describes a little glass that you slide across a big serving table to get refilled with lovely Alsatian wine, so that was also a fun"aside".
Okay, so now for the questions. We will be driving from here in Strasbourg on to Munich on Monday, where we only spend one night, then on to Salzberg where we will be based for 2 nights. Since the drive to Munich is short-3 hours, I wondered if there are nice places to consider a stop or to eat lunch? We are actually staying in Garching bei München, which is north of Munich itself, since we aren't really focusing on Munich as a destination this trip. We just had to make some choices and decided we wanted more time in Budapest and Slovenia. But of course a great restaurant for dinner that night is always appreciated.
Same thing with the trip to Salzberg. It is 2 hours, so pretty short. Are there interesting places to stop and enjoy (and eat-I know I am food obsessed!). In Salzberg we will have 3 days, so any other city info would be appreciated. There we are staying along the Elisabethkai on the west side of the city. So any not to miss things in the city itself would also be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 US : HP Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482 :3831 HP PRINTER 24*7
- 2 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 3 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 4 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 5 Threat Level in UK
- 6 IWM
- 7 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 8 One night in the Dolomites
- 9 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 10 Itinery help Crete
- 11 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 12 Madrid or Barcelona first?
- 13 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 14 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 15 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 16 3 nights in Madrid
- 17 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 18 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 19 London 6 day itinerary
- 20 Rome hotel
- 21 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 22 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 23 London Hotel - Different Request
- 24 alcazar question and seville advice
- 25 Spain itinerary and railway advise
Mini trip report night 1 Strasburg & a few questions for Germany & Austria.