For all of you that followed my earlier thread about doing a driving trip July in Eastern Europe, thank you so much! Now that we are actually on our way and know our nightly stops, I thought maybe all you German and Austrian experts could chime in with some advice on interesting stops for lunch or sightseeing for this first part of our trip. After we finish up I will knit it all into a trip report for others . I thought I would also do a first "mini" trip report on our first day of the trip since everyone is always so generous.
So we are currently in Strasbourg arriving early evening yesterday. We ate at a lovely regional restaurant called Le Rutsch http://le-rutsch.fr/ Since we were arriving sort of last minute on a Saturday night, it was hard to get a reservation at the top 10 ranked places, but we were really surprised at how good and thoughtfully presented the food was. For example, the owner gave me the name of a fromagerie (cheese store) whose owner is a "MOF" in cheese. That is a big deal in France since it is a very hard status to be awarded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meilleur_Ouvrier_de_France
Also, it was a in a charming little neighborhood where we could park-so a bonus there! We had thought to take the bus, but on Saturday night, the schedule was the greatest, so driving turned out to be okay. Ans the owner explained that the Rutsch is a word that describes a little glass that you slide across a big serving table to get refilled with lovely Alsatian wine, so that was also a fun"aside".
Okay, so now for the questions. We will be driving from here in Strasbourg on to Munich on Monday, where we only spend one night, then on to Salzberg where we will be based for 2 nights. Since the drive to Munich is short-3 hours, I wondered if there are nice places to consider a stop or to eat lunch? We are actually staying in Garching bei München, which is north of Munich itself, since we aren't really focusing on Munich as a destination this trip. We just had to make some choices and decided we wanted more time in Budapest and Slovenia. But of course a great restaurant for dinner that night is always appreciated.
Same thing with the trip to Salzberg. It is 2 hours, so pretty short. Are there interesting places to stop and enjoy (and eat-I know I am food obsessed!). In Salzberg we will have 3 days, so any other city info would be appreciated. There we are staying along the Elisabethkai on the west side of the city. So any not to miss things in the city itself would also be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 2 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 3 Rhodes: New town or Old Town
- 4 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 5 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 6 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 7 Eastern Sicily Itinerary Help Needed
- 8 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 9 Itinerary Help: France in Late September
- 10 Itinerary help: Switzerland / Italy in August
- 11 Spain itinerary for sept/Oct?
- 12 Prague State Opera/ Verdi Festival
- 13 Budva or Perast in Montenegro
- 14 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 15 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 16 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 17 WWI Battlefields
- 18 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 19 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 20 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 21 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 22 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 23 Paris: Les Grands Voisins Project...
- 24 Reaching the Lake District
- 25 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
Mini trip report night 1 Strasburg & a few questions for Germany & Austria.