In April, my friend and I will be flying into Milan for one night before training to Zurich. We do not plan on doing any sightseeing in Milan because we want to see Varenna and Bellagio on Lake Como. We will not have a car so we plan to use the train or bus system to get around.
Our flight arrives mid morning so my thoughts are to train from Milan airport to Varenna then take a ferry to Bellagio, stay somewhere on Lake Como, and then take a train the following afternoon for Zurich. We love wine, shopping, and want to take in the scenery of Lake Como! Logistics wise, does this seem doable? What town would be the best place to stay the night with us leaving on a train the following afternoon? Does anyone have any accomodation recommendation for a 100 euro a night budget?
I have considered taking the Bernina Express back to Zurich, but it seems like it would take quite a bit longer to go that route than directly to Zurich. With the small amount of time that we have (our travel days are unable to be changed), is it worth it to take away some of our morning on Lake Como to ride the Bernina Express?
Any advice is welcomed & appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 2 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 3 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 4 Berlin, Nice and London
- 5 charming cities in Spain
- 6 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
- 7 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 8 Day in Madrid
- 9 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 10 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 11 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 12 Venice
- 13 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 14 Family vacation to europe
- 15 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 16 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 17 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 18 16 Day Europe Itenerary
- 19 Amsterdam Trip Report
- 20 Cotswolds, UK -10 days - end of May'17 move or central base
- 21 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 22 Hotel Danube. Paris.
- 23 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 24 Inverness to Isle of Lewis
- 25 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas