In April, my friend and I will be flying into Milan for one night before training to Zurich. We do not plan on doing any sightseeing in Milan because we want to see Varenna and Bellagio on Lake Como. We will not have a car so we plan to use the train or bus system to get around.
Our flight arrives mid morning so my thoughts are to train from Milan airport to Varenna then take a ferry to Bellagio, stay somewhere on Lake Como, and then take a train the following afternoon for Zurich. We love wine, shopping, and want to take in the scenery of Lake Como! Logistics wise, does this seem doable? What town would be the best place to stay the night with us leaving on a train the following afternoon? Does anyone have any accomodation recommendation for a 100 euro a night budget?
I have considered taking the Bernina Express back to Zurich, but it seems like it would take quite a bit longer to go that route than directly to Zurich. With the small amount of time that we have (our travel days are unable to be changed), is it worth it to take away some of our morning on Lake Como to ride the Bernina Express?
Any advice is welcomed & appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 2 Rome or Venice first
- 3 An evening in London
- 4 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 5 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 6 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 7 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 8 Europe First Timers
- 9 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 10 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 11 Chur or St Moritz?
- 12 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 13 Itinerary review: Croatia/Italy
- 14 Safety in Rome
- 15 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 16 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 19 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 20 Athens Help
- 21 Uber vs. TfL
- 22 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 23 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 24 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 25 Apartment Montreux area