I've decided that because we will only be in Milan for two nights, I would rather have a hotel than an apartment. It's just a quick stop in between Switzerland and Venice, and seems so convenient. We have never been to Milan. We have three other stays on this trip and they are in apartments.
Prices for rooms in Milan for the first days of October are very high, much higher than for June. Anyway, anything with ratings I like is out of my price range.
I've narrowed my choices and see these as possibilities:
1) Hotel Berna near the Central Station, where we will arrive and depart.
2) A sort of suite or specialty lodging near the Duomo, but because it's not a hotel, if we arrive before 14:00 we probably can't leave our luggage. Reviews say that service is good, but it's much less serviced than a hotel. Daily cleaning and reservations, but no desk and breakfast is outside the building. There is a Nespresso machine which we would like. Breakfast isn't a priority.
3) skip Milan all together, taking the train from Bellinzona to Milan but transferring immediately to another destination. Was thinking of Vicenza. Would also consider Padova, because we were going to day trip there from Venice on the day that the Biennale is closed. Which would you choose?
I'm not thrilled about changing trains. I'm not working with glowing health and prefer to keep things simpler.
I would greatly appreciate feedback.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pottery factory tour on Poland (?)
- 2 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 3 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 4 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 5 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 6 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 7 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 8 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 9 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 10 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 11 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 12 de Roma A Como en 6 días
- 13 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 14 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 15 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 16 Salzburg itinerary review
- 17 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 18 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 19 Milan and Lake Como
- 20 weekend from cologne germany
- 21 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 22 Switzerland in September
- 23 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 24 Where to eat in Rome?
- 25 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?