I have read a number of conversations on the Melk day trip from Vienna, however I have a couple or questions (forgive me if these have been answered in another thread).
The plan I've put together so far is:
- Depart Vienna for Melk Abbey by train (plan to be at Melk by just after 9am for when it opens)
- Walk around the abbey/gardens
- Catch the 11am boat to Spitz
- Pick up some bikes and cycle from Spitz to Durnstein
- Spend some time in Durnstein walking around the town and walking up to the castle ruins
- Bike from Durnstein to Krems
- Train Krems to Vienna
(Our back up plan if the weather is not obliging is to stay on the boat to Durnstein and then take the bus to Krems).
My questions are:
- Is the above achievable (forget to mention we're in Vienna in late September)?
- Should we bike south or north of the river? I'm visualising cycling through vineyards.
- Does one side have any Heurige's we could visit (perhaps one side has more than the other)?
I welcome any suggestions or recommendations to the above.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Munich itinerary review
- 2 My final Prague itinerary
- 3 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 4 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 5 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 6 Christmas - New Year Holiday
- 7 weekend from cologne germany
- 8 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 9 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 10 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 11 3nights in Venice
- 12 multi city flights to europe
- 13 Europe itinerary questions
- 14 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 15 Earthquake near Naples
- 16 13 nights in switzerland
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 19 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 20 Football Tickets - Athens
- 21 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 22 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 23 Salzburg itinerary review
- 24 Positano or Sorrento?
- 25 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi