I have read a number of conversations on the Melk day trip from Vienna, however I have a couple or questions (forgive me if these have been answered in another thread).
The plan I've put together so far is:
- Depart Vienna for Melk Abbey by train (plan to be at Melk by just after 9am for when it opens)
- Walk around the abbey/gardens
- Catch the 11am boat to Spitz
- Pick up some bikes and cycle from Spitz to Durnstein
- Spend some time in Durnstein walking around the town and walking up to the castle ruins
- Bike from Durnstein to Krems
- Train Krems to Vienna
(Our back up plan if the weather is not obliging is to stay on the boat to Durnstein and then take the bus to Krems).
My questions are:
- Is the above achievable (forget to mention we're in Vienna in late September)?
- Should we bike south or north of the river? I'm visualising cycling through vineyards.
- Does one side have any Heurige's we could visit (perhaps one side has more than the other)?
I welcome any suggestions or recommendations to the above.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ESET @ Installation renewal CONTACT☎ 18006817208 ESET Tec*h Supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 3 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 4 Spanish Medical Providers
- 5 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 6 Iceland
- 7 Venice/Mestre
- 8 Quizz !
- 9 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 10 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 11 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 12 Our future trip to Greece
- 13 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 14 Russia in two weeks in December
- 15 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 16 Christmas Day in Granada
- 17 car insurance italy
- 18 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 19 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 20 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 21 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 22 Transylvania - June 2018
- 23 Italy Car Scam
- 24 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 25 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?