I have read a number of conversations on the Melk day trip from Vienna, however I have a couple or questions (forgive me if these have been answered in another thread).
The plan I've put together so far is:
- Depart Vienna for Melk Abbey by train (plan to be at Melk by just after 9am for when it opens)
- Walk around the abbey/gardens
- Catch the 11am boat to Spitz
- Pick up some bikes and cycle from Spitz to Durnstein
- Spend some time in Durnstein walking around the town and walking up to the castle ruins
- Bike from Durnstein to Krems
- Train Krems to Vienna
(Our back up plan if the weather is not obliging is to stay on the boat to Durnstein and then take the bus to Krems).
My questions are:
- Is the above achievable (forget to mention we're in Vienna in late September)?
- Should we bike south or north of the river? I'm visualising cycling through vineyards.
- Does one side have any Heurige's we could visit (perhaps one side has more than the other)?
I welcome any suggestions or recommendations to the above.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Italy?
- 2 St Remy to Nice in Three Days?
- 3 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 4 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 5 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 6 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 7 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 8 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 9 Shoes in Scotland
- 10 Engadine Valley help
- 11 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 12 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 13 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 14 Naples, Italy
- 15 Ireland in April
- 16 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 17 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 18 French restaurants
- 19 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 20 Tuscany 6 nights
- 21 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 22 Ireland travel passport question
- 23 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 24 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
- 25 Planning a European Trip