My husband and I are planning our first backpacking trip to Europe this May and June (Yay!) and would appreciate any information you think would be helpful in our planning process. We are newlyweds and young-ish, and want the "backpacking" experience but are in a position to not "rough" it and are happy to stay in nicer places regularly and/or as needed. We love being active outdoors, music, art, exploring beautiful cities, and being spontaneous. I have been reading through the forum and think we have a pretty good itinerary so far, but would love some help with the finer details although if you notice any big issues with our current itinerary please let us know.
Fly into Brussels – take train to stay 3 nights in Ghent (Arrive morning of May 9th, take train to Ghent, leave afternoon of May 12th) We plan on taking day trip Bruges and heading back to Brussels to take a train to Paris. Any other suggestions?
Stay in Brussels two nights (May 12th to May 14th)
Train to Paris (1 hr 36 minutes) – 5 nights (Arrive evening of May 14th, leave early morning of May 19th) High speed train through Lille the best option from Brussels?
Train to Basel – 1 night (Arrive May 19th, Leave May 20th) Should we skip this stop and take trains straight through to the following areas?
Train to Bernese Oberland (Arrive May 20th, Leave May 28th…..Spiez, Interlaken, lauterbrunnen valley, Grindewalde, Murren, etc.) – 7 nights. Not sure where to stay. My husband and I love to hike and to be outside, but also want to have the option of visiting nice towns, sightseeing ornate churches, etc., during bad weather. Can all of these areas be seen well with only one base, or should we spend a few nights at different destinations?
Train to Lucerne (Arrive May 28th, Leave May 31st) - 3 nights
Train to Fussen – 2 nights We want to see some castles around this area.
Train to Munich (Arrive May 31st, leave June 3rd) - 3 nights
Train to Salzburg (Arrive June 3rd, Leave June 7th) - 3 nights
Train to Cesky Krumlov (Arrive June 7th, Leave June 9th) – 2 nights
Train to Prague (Arrive June 9th, Leave June 13th) – 4 nights
I would love to go to Barcelona and Italy (mainly Cinque Terre and Florence), but I don't think it makes sense with the main cities/ areas we want to see. Those being Paris, Switzerland, Austria, and Prague. I would give up Munich and Fussen in Germany, if there was a way to get down to Italy, but haven't thought of a time-effective way. Any ideas?
We have been trying to decide if a Eurail pass is worth it. We would love the flexibility and convenience, but aren't sure it's worth the money. I know that some of the trains require reservations as well. Would it just be better to buy tickets for each trip individually? Thoughts?
We plan to fly in May 9 and fly home on June 16, and have a few extra days we can fit in somewhere and general flexibility to incorporate any helpful ideas. I am so excited, but I'm also a little nervous about getting everything together. I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give.
Thank you so much,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland Trip Report
- 2 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 3 Charming areas to explore in London
- 4 Cinqueterre
- 5 stonehenge day trip from london
- 6 Weather late May in Copenhagen, Tallin, etc.
- 7 Trip to Ireland in September
- 8 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 9 Am sterdam is there a hop on hop off bus
- 10 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 11 Norway travel help: Bergen-Gjendesheim-Oslo
- 12 Cornwall UK
- 13 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 14 Rome Discount Card for Longer Stay?
- 15 Best sites in Slovenia and Croatia
- 16 Train tickets in Italy?
- 17 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 18 Ephesus - Tour A or B??
- 19 Musée Erasme Anderlecht, Belgium
- 20 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 21 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 22 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 23 5 day trip by train Frankfurt Vienna
- 24 8 Hours in Rome
- 25 Athens International airport